Winter is finally on its way out the door (hopefully)! Spring break has officially begun, so go enjoy the pause in classes and be sure to check back here next Monday for the regularly scheduled posts!
Welcome back for the Spring 2015 semester!
I hope you all had a relaxing holiday and that you are ready for an exciting spring semester in the MS in Publishing program!
Be sure to check out the blog daily as we are always updating it with great information. We start off each week with an inspiring Quote of the Week. Other regular weekly features include: The Link of the Week, Jobs of the Week, and Around Town: Books and Magazine Events in NYC. We also post monthly Alumni in the Spotlight Interviews, Faculty/Advisory Board in the Spotlight features as well as our Media Roundups and Reports from the Trenches (we love to have students blog about field trips, guest lectures, books or magazines they have read etc. so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you want to contribute) and Volunteer and Events postings. In addition, we also post numerous Internship and Employment opportunities so be sure to bookmark the blog.
The blog has also been updated to include Faculty and Staff Bios—a great way to learn more about the backgrounds and accomplishments of your professors (see tab at the top of the blog)! In addition, the Publishing Links that run along the left side of the blog are also a great resource for networking and additional educational opportunities. The Internship Resources tab is regularly updated in order to provide students with direct links to internship opportunities.
I would also like to take this time to thank you for your contributions to and feedback on the blog and we hope that you are finding it to be a useful resource. Please feel free to email me (email@example.com) with any suggestions or comments you have. We love to hear from you and are always looking for new ways to provide you with useful information. And, for students interested in getting putting together some writing samples, putting together a post for the blog is a great way to do that.
Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful semester!
Executive Director of Internships and Corporate Outreach
For those of you who are interested in an internship centered in academia, the Society for Scholarly Publishing has a list of internships on their website that links for a wide array of available internships in the academic fields.
Offerings available include positions at Anthem Press, Columbia University Press, MIT Press, and Oxford University Press, among many others.
Click here to peruse the complete list.
The Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency is looking for someone who is hard-working, conscientious, and detail-minded for an unpaid position, working at least 16 hours a week for a minimum of 12 weeks. This minimum is negotiable but is preferred.
Additionally, while there is no guarantee of employment as a result of an internship with the agency, many of our interns have gone on to work in various areas of publishing.
This is a small office, and the intern would be trained in a number of areas, including but not limited to: use of a software program used by a variety of literary agencies and publishers, the nature of the submission process both domestically and internationally, along with other various projects, including book marketing, blog research, contract audits, and database maintenance. Our interns will gain a strong understanding of publishing and the inner workings of a well-established literary agency, with a strong track record both domestically and internationally.
This is not an internship that requires any reading at the office, but the interns are welcome to read submissions and manuscripts on their own time if they choose.
If interested, applications are due to Ms. Tara Hart no later than Wednesday, November 19th.
Title: Marketing Assistant
Routledge NY seeks an Marketing Assistant to assist the Marketing Manager for the Economics list in the Social Sciences division. This role is responsible for day-to-day administrative support for the global marketing team. The right individual will assist in identifying opportunities, planning campaigns, and implementing targeted marketing.
The ideal candidate must have excellent organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks in a fast-paced environment. He/she must be comfortable communicating professionally with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. The position will help with the overall success of Routledge’s goal and strategy of publishing adoptable texts as well as academic resources, and implementing effective marketing, follow-up, and success-based reporting.
• Assist marketing manager in day-to-day activities
• Work with US and UK colleagues on global campaigns/projects
• Help with the creation and sending of HTML e-marketing campaigns, which will involve copyediting, scheduling, and dealing with outside vendors
• Investigating new opportunities to promote our books
• Entering and updating information in the various company databases
• Manage concurrent day-to-day projects (such as email campaigns, list research, review plans, and author care)
• Generate marketing materials including flyers for authors and exhibits
• Assist at, and sometimes manage, book exhibits (occasional travel necessary)
• Co-manage the Economics social media platforms with a Journals counterpart
• Deal effectively with internal and external queries to ensure that stakeholder needs are met
• Deal effectively with customer queries, adapting his/her approach and style as appropriate
• Providing content for marketing channels as required
• Accountable for managing own learning, taking responsibility to identify and develop skills gaps and developing an appropriate level of systems knowledge, marketing skills, and sector awareness as a foundation for further development
• An interest in pursuing a career in publishing
• BA or equivalent
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability and willingness to learn new applications
• Proficient in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Experience with Photoshop, HTML newsletters, Content Management Systems, Google Analytics and social media a plus
• Database experience and knowledge a plus
• Industry and market awareness a plus
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org For consideration for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to: email@example.com to the attention of Jessica Flores in the Human Resources Department. Please state salary history, salary requirements, the position being applied for, and the source of the advertisement. *Only responses with salary history and salary requirements will be considered. No phone calls please. Human Resources Department Taylor and Francis Group 711 3rd Avenue, 8th Floor, NYC 10017 EOE
Location: New York, NY
– Day-to-day administrative support for the Publicity Department
– Supporting senior publicity staff with media campaigns and event logistics
– Coordinating communications efforts
– Creating and writing publicity materials, such as press releases, press kits and media lists
– Organizing and executing media mailings weekly
– Compiling media clips and coverage summaries
– Creating author itineraries
– Compiling regular divisional communications about department news and events
– Managing phones, calendars and scheduling conflicts
– Coding and processing of invoices
– A 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience
– Prior office/administrative experience
– Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
– Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle confidential information with discretion
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills
– Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including: Outlook, Word, Excel
– Interest in and enthusiasm for children’s literature
– Social media experience
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Please apply using our online application process. (Search “Publicity/Communications” category).
The Editorial Assistant for archdigest.com will contribute content to the site on a daily basis, reporting to the Site Director, and with a dotted line to the Online Features Editor. The ideal candidate will have experience writing, editing, and assigning for the Web. This person should be organized, resourceful, and able to communicate effectively on multiple platforms. Overall digital know-how is necessary, and a strong working knowledge of social media will be extremely helpful. Experience and/or interest in design, culture, and/or architecture is a plus.