New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Publisher’s Assistant or Associate
Soho Press is an independent book publisher based in Manhattan’s Union Square. Founded in 1986, Soho publishes 90 books a year across its Soho Press, Soho Crime and Soho Teen lists, and is known for introducing bold new literary voices, award-winning international crime fiction, and compelling young adult mystery and thrillers.
• 0-2 years publishing experience (title is flexible based on candidate’s experience and skills)
• Extremely organized and with excellent attention to detail
• Must be able to juggle multiple deadlines and prioritize tasks
• Excellent copy writing skills
• Excellent professional business correspondence skills (letter and email writing, professional phone manner)
• Graphic design ability, including knowledge of InDesign and/or other design software, is a plus
• Willingness to learn new skills
• A passion for fiction in all its literary and genre forms and for working closely with authors
• Enthusiasm for working on a small, dynamic, creative team
• Providing administrative support for the Publisher and for the business
• Providing book publishing support, including writing copy, creating title information sheets, and working closely with our creative editorial and marketing teams
• Maintaining professional correspondence on behalf of the company, including with our distributor and sales teams
If you are interested in applying, please contact Soho press at firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeking Full-Time Publicity and Marketing Manager, International Business Books
Hachette Book Group (HBG) is a leading US trade publisher and a division of the third largest trade and educational book publisher in the world, Hachette Livre. A global publishing company based in France, Hachette Livre is a subsidiary of the French media company, Lagardère. HBG is headquartered in New York, with offices in Boston, MA; Lebanon, IN; Nashville, TN; Boulder, CO; Philadelphia, PA; and Berkeley, CA. HBG also owns Hachette Book Group Canada, Inc., a marketing and publicity company based in Toronto, ON.
In one year, HBG publishes approximately 900+ adult books (including 50-100 digital-only titles), 250+ books for young readers, and 400 audio book titles (including both physical and downloadable-only titles). In 2015, the company had 183 works on the New York Times bestseller list, 34 of which reached #1.
• Book publishing experience with a strong background in publicity/media relations
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, Photoshop, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat, fluent in video editing technology and social media
• Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team
• Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
• Demonstrated commercial awareness
• Prepare and distribute press releases, media kits, review mailings, follow up on all leads
• Write pitch letters, ad copy, cover stories, articles, news briefs, prepare excerpts and interviews
• Maintain/update press contact database and client files
• Assist with planning, production and execution of local, national events and campaigns
• Administer daily telephone, email contact with local and national press and vendors
• Administer event support – event preparation and on-site execution
• Provide media with quotes for story development, generate ideas for author placement
• Plan all press engagements, schedule author interviews with local and national media
• Determine logistics involved when scheduling multiple interviews
• Provide tracking and reporting on campaigns, outreach and execution
• Provide service to authors to maximize their reach, including creating email, print, and online templates to help drive sales
• Produce topical catalogs and marketing materials, including video
• Drive online strategies for NB website, social media, blogs and other consumer-facing activities
• Liaise with New York and London teams and ensure regular communication between the groups
• Maintain/update mailing lists and critical systems
• Provide data-driven market analysis and recommendations
If you interested in applying, please click here.
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Literary Agent
HSG is a full-service literary agency that through collaborative and client-focused representation manages all aspects of an author’s career, from manuscript shaping, to sale and publication, subsidiary rights management, marketing and publicity strategy, and beyond. Our diverse and skilled team represents all types of fiction and non-fiction, for both adults and children, and has strong relationships with every major publisher as well as familiarity with independent and start-up publishers offering a different approach to publishing. We have a lovely office in the NoMad district of Manhattan and our team includes in-house lawyers and contracts professionals, foreign rights managers, and royalty and accounting specialists.
• Highly motivated agent
• Experienced agent with an active client list looking to grow his or her women’s fiction, nonfiction or children’s/YA list,
• Or an experienced editor with strong author relationships looking to make the leap to agenting and begin building a client list.
• Build and manage your own client list by signing authors and developing their projects for submission.
• Negotiate, in conjunction with our contracts manager, your authors’ deals and publishing and rights agreements.
• Grow and maintain positive publishing industry relationships, particularly with editors.
• Work with our foreign rights manager, and our film & television co-agents, to sell clients’ subsidiary rights.
• Work with the agency’s partners in identifying other growth sources for the agency.
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume and brief cover letter by e-mail to email@example.com
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Marketing Assistant- Basic Books
Hachette Book Group was created when Hachette Livre, a global publishing company based in France, acquired Time Warner Book Group from Time Warner in 2006. Hachette Livre is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lagardère, a company that is active worldwide in the areas of communications and media (books, press, audiovisual and distribution/retailing of cultural products).
• The successful candidate must be able to work both independently and as part of a team
• College degree required
• Strong interest in the marketing and sales side of book publishing
• Prior book publishing experience preferred but not required
• Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills
• Familiarity with Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel required, basic HTML and/or website design and Photoshop/InDesign an enormous plus
• Familiarity with social media platforms a plus
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings regardless of audience
• Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
• Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail.
• Prepare and track materials for all major meetings with the Hachette sales team as well as the catalog
• Create focus and sales conference presentations through PowerPoint
• Coordinate and prepare materials for weekly marketing meeting
• Update Facebook and coordinate GoodReads giveaways
• Update Basic Website
• Monitor e-retailer account sites to ensure book and author data are up
• Maintain NetGalley
• Admin duties include: code invoices and maintain budget grid, coordinate mailings, schedule meetings, create and distribute weekly reports
If you are interested in applying, please click here.