Poets & Writers currently has an opening for an Assistant Online Editor.
The Assistant Online Editor is an integral part of the team responsible for developing and maintaining Poets & Writers’ website (pw.org). See a job description below!
There is also an opening for an IT Associate, and are accepting applications for our 2011-12 Galen Williams Fellows (a paid Fellowship program) through June 15. Information about each of these opportunities is at: http://www.pw.org/about-us/career_opportunities.
ASSISTANT ONLINE EDITOR
The Assistant Online Editor is an integral part of the team responsible for developing and maintaining Poets & Writers’ website (pw.org). Under the direction of the Editorial Director, pw.org attracts over a million unique visitors per year and is the creative writer’s primary source for information and advice.
As detailed below, specific tasks include maintaining a variety of databases and select web content. In addition, the Assistant Online Editor is often the first point of contact with writers and others seeking assistance, and as such is key to maintaining the high level of service and integrity for which Poets & Writers is known.
The position offers a creative, adroit, and literate person an opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of Poets & Writers’ fast-growing online service to creative writers. This full-time position reports to the Editorial Director, and includes excellent benefits and potential for growth.
- Compiling news sources and writing headlines for P&W’s Daily News, an online aggregate of news items relevant to writers, and promoting it via social media.
- Maintaining, enhancing, developing, and producing select online content, including Top Ten Topics for Writers.
- Administering the Directory of Poets & Writers, and maintaining the integrity of its
- 9,000+ listings of contemporary authors.
- Maintaining and updating other online resources and directories, including P&W’s databases of literary magazines, small presses, grants & awards, and MFA programs.
- Communicating with writers, magazines, small presses, and other entities regarding their listings in pw.org’s databases.
- Conducting outreach and research related to the maintenance of databases.
- Supervising interns.
- Answering written, phone, and e-mail queries from writers, providing accurate information and outstanding, courteous service.
- Serving as back up to the Administrative Coordinator, whose duties include greeting visitors, receiving packages, checking and forwarding phone messages, among other administrative tasks.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills.
- Web savvy; strong experience with maintaining databases.
- Experience with basic HTML, CSS, and Drupal, a plus.
- Highly organized and excellent attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the literary marketplace.
- Independent, self-motivated worker.
- At least one to two years of office experience.
- Passion for contemporary poetry and fiction.
Please send resume and cover letter to Mary Gannon, Editorial Director, Poets & Writers, 90 Broad St., Suite 2100, New York, NY 10004 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attachments should be .doc, .rtf, or .pdf; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
About Poets & Writers, Inc.:
Poets & Writers is the nation’s largest nonprofit organization serving creative writers. It is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. Founded in 1970, the organization’s mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public. P&W accomplishes this by publishing Poets & Writers Magazine, producing a website (pw.org), providing publishing information, introducing emerging writers outside of New York to the New York City literary community, and paying fees to writers participating in public literary events. P&W’s programs introduce writers to one another and connect them to audiences, making today’s writing visible and accessible in major cities and small towns across the country. In addition to its national office in New York City, P&W maintains a branch office in Los Angeles.
Poets & Writers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in its hiring.