New York, NY
Offering Literary Agency Internships.
William Clark is a native of Virginia and was educated in the United States, France, and England. Moving to New York in 1992, he worked at several agencies, including Virginia Barber Literary Agency and William Morris Agency, before founding the agency in 1997.
He is a Conservator member of the Young Lions Program at the New York Public Library, PEN American Center, a sponsor of The Moth, and a member of The Author’s Guild and Shambhala Meditation Center of New York.
• Applicants who can demonstrate a motivating passion for literature and the world of books
• Experience in critical reading, writing, copy-editing or developmental editing are preferred
• Basic research and organizational skills are required
• The ideal intern possesses both a keen appreciation for quality non-fiction and fiction, and a sense for the commercial potential of material.
• Interns report directly to Mr. Clark on a flexible schedule for a minimum of 10 hours per week
• Develop an eye for literary merit as well as commercial viability
• Gain valuable experience and exposure in the international publishing community
• Preparation of detailed readers reports for discussion
• Aid in development of book projects
• Minimal clerical work.
Internships are unpaid, though college credit is possible. Interested individuals in their junior year of college or later should apply in the month preceding the internship period by email to email@example.com with the subject line: “Intern Application.” The email should include: the reasons why the applicant is interested in working in a literary agency; the last five works of non-fiction and fiction read; and a resume in the body of the email (no attachments are accepted).
New York, NY
Offering Editorial Internship
With origins dating back to 1478, Oxford University Press (OUP) is the world’s largest university press with the widest global presence. Our Global Academic Publishing program spans the entire academic and higher education spectrum, including a wide array of scholarly and general interest books, journals, and online products.
• Applicant must be preferably enrolled in a degreed program with at least one year of schooling completed
• Excellent communication and research skills, as well as an ability to work towards a deadline
• Candidate should be highly organized, attentive to detail, and capable of juggling multiple assignments at once.
• Some understanding of project management (e.g., PRINCE2, PMP) is preferred, but not required
• Familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word and Excel
• Ability to commute to our New York City office for the duration of the position
• Assist the digital publishing manager in maintaining the throughput of content to three online products (Oxford Medicine Online, Oxford Clinical Psychology, and AMA Manual of Style)
• Support the larger editorial digital development team in necessary tasks, including Quality Assurance of content
• Shadow other roles, including XML content specialists
• Attend our product team meetings and gain exposure to basic project management techniques
• Support “print side” editors in verifying content for online publication
Please submit a resume and cover letter to their online career site.
New York, NY
Offering a Publicity Internship
American Management Association is a world leader in talent development, advancing the skills of individuals to drive business success. AMA’s approach to improving performance combines experiential learning—learning through doing—with opportunities for ongoing professional growth at every step of one’s career journey. AMA supports the goals of individuals and organizations through a complete range of products and services, including classroom and virtual seminars, webcasts, webinars, podcasts, conferences, corporate and government solutions, business books and research. Organizations worldwide, including the majority of the Fortune 500, turn to AMA as their trusted partner in professional development and draw upon its experience to enhance skills, abilities and knowledge with noticeable results from day one.
• BA/BS required
• Demonstrated interest in publishing required
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Excellent organizational skills and a keen eye for details
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, creative writing ability
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work independently in a busy environment, and also work as a team member on projects
• Proof publicity press material and coordinate printing of publicity material.
• Send out review requests and bound galleys.
• Coordinate review copy and seasonal catalog mailing to our distribution center in SLK.
• Provide assistance in updating and maintaining publicity database
• Conduct publicity research for select books using outside database (Cision) and author questionnaire.
• Maintain NetGalley which includes: upload ePub file; share widget with marketing, editorial, and author; approve requests; and archive old titles.
• Post reviews, press kit, book awards, and webcasts and podcasts to PIM.
• Assist publicity director on lead books and other select titles.
• Handle call for information from PW, Library Journal, Choice.
• Post entries to AMACOM Books Blog using WordPress.
• Assist Publicity Director with social media.
• Other related duties.
AMACOM, American Management Association’s Publishing Division (www.amacombooks.org) is looking for an intern in the publicity department assisting the publicity director. if you would like apply, please Please apply on our website under AMA Careers.
New York, NY
Offering Marketing Internship
Films Press is a media and entertainment company. Using a combination of original content creation, high quality production, and impactful distribution channels, Fabled Film properties connect across generations of parents and their children.
The team has experience with early stage startups as well as running large, growth oriented businesses. Expertise in writing, illustration and visual design; filmmaking, digital animation and app creation as well as brand building, sales strategy, digital marketing, publishing and licensed products.
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to multitask and juggle multiple projects
• Strong research skills
• Familiarity with social media platforms
• Previous experience with publishing and content marketing is appreciated, but not required.
• Ideal candidates should have a strong interest in children’s books, films and toys.
• Ideal candidates should be familiar with various social media platforms (including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and Goodreads).
• Interns will work closely with the in-house marketing director to execute marketing plans for The Nocturnals, a new middle grade childrens brand with books, animated shorts and online activities
• Interns will be expected to write original content for our website and social media and write pitch letters
• Generate marketing materials (social posts, blog posts, flyers, digital banners) and follow up on select pitches to bloggers
• Draw up social media campaigns optimized for multiple platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and perform research to update database marketing contacts for booksellers, librarians, teachers, bloggers and the media on MailChimp
• Assist the marketing director with other day-to-day tasks
• The intern will also be expected to execute daily mailings of books and other materials as well as drop off packages at the post office.
Fabled Films Press can make arrangements for course credit where possible; Internship is unpaid. Please send a resume and brief cover letter outlining your interest in their internship program to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include on your resume any appropriate social media accounts that can be taken into consideration (i.e., usernames for Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, Goodreads etc.). when applying, please indicate which specific weekdays you can commit to working from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (minimum 3 days per week). Unfortunately, Fabled Films Press is unable to provide any assistance regarding housing.