Spring 2014 Journalism Intern
Business Insider is looking for paid interns to join our editorial team this January!
As an intern at Business Insider, there’s no getting coffee, filing, or making copies. Our interns are an integral part of our team. Many of our current reporters and editors started as interns.
BI Interns spend their time doing meaningful work: researching, writing, pitching and producing features — even breaking news if the timing’s right. Interns are encouraged to work full-time if their schedule allows. We require 3 days a week minimum.
Other perks? We have tons of free snacks, a great office environment, and a ping-pong table where we hold quarterly tournaments.
When it comes to qualifications, a journalism background and experience writing for a news site always helps, as do copy-editing skills and light HTML and Photoshop experience. Knowledge of social media and previous writing experience are both useful, too.
Please send your resume and three journalism clips. Please briefly describe which BI section(s) interest you most and why. (Don’t know what our sections are? Check out the nav bar on the home page.) And, please note: this internship requires that you work in our Manhattan office.
This internship position is posted on e-Recruiting, and students will need to be registered with the Career Services Internship program in order to apply. If any interested students are not already registered with the Internship program, please direct them to Career Services at 212-346-1950 or Justin Krass at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position: Intern – Higher Education Digital Product Management
The Higher Education division is currently accepting applications for a Digital Product Management Intern for the Oxford University Press USA Fall Internship Program.
NOTE: This is a PAID internship.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the development and creation of content within learning management system software
- Assist in the creation and development of ancillary resource center sites
- Draft tutorial and help documentation for digital products
- Monitor end-user support mailboxes and route tickets appropriately
- Schedule and drive end-user facing product webinars
- Assist in the design and styling of end-user facing product webpages
At the conclusion of the internship, the Intern can expect to have learned the role that digital products play in higher education publishing, the challenges currently faced by publishers developing digital products, and OUP’s strategies for meeting our users’ needs. The Intern will gain experience interacting with instructor end-users and learn how to improve digital products by approaching them from a user perspective. The intern will learn extensively how to develop courses and content within leading learning management systems
Applicants must have strong communication skills and feel comfortable working with new software and technologies. The ideal applicant will be a problem solver, a fast learner, and feel comfortable working independently and juggling multiple responsibilities on a daily basis. Applicants should have an understanding of web technologies and be able to communicate clearly and jargon-free about digital products to non-experts.
Other skills required and preferred:
- Experience with HTML and website development required • Major in computer science or equivalent strongly preferred
- Experience working with learning management systems such as Desire2Learn, Blackboard, and Moodle strongly preferred
- Experience with the WordPress content management system preferred
- Graphic design interest and experience, including website styling using CSS, preferred
Applicants must be enrolled in a degreed program with at least one year of schooling completed, graduated from a degreed program in the past year or enrolled in a degreed program where college credit is granted for the completion of an internship.
Find the original posting here.
The Society of Publication Designers, or SPD, is dedicated to promoting and encouraging excellence in editorial design. Members are art directors, designers, photo editors, editors and graphics professionals. Since drafting its charter in 1965, the SPD remains the only organization specifically addressing the visual concerns of print and online editorial professionals. Editorial design plays a crucial role in shaping and documenting our common history; the efforts of the Society and its members also serve to educate and enlighten the public about the importance of magazines and online publications.
The activities of SPD promote the role of its members as journalists and partners in the editorial process, as well as fostering new generations of publication designers through educational outreach and scholarship opportunities. Member benefits include significant discounts on events, entry fees, Adobe software and training opportunities, complimentary copies of the SPD Annual, and more.
Make sure to check out the SPD-U PUB(lications) CRAWL, the annual all-day event that features a tour of two magazine and/or design offices to give an in-depth look at how things there really work. Space is limited so buy your ticket here. This event takes place on Friday, September 27th. Doors open at 9:15 am at the SPD Office.
Check out these great internship opportunities after the jump. Continue reading “Link of the Week: Society of Publication Designers”
Job Title: Reviews editorial intern
Internship Paid: Yes
Time Frame: Late August through mid-to-late December
Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Work closely with review editors
- Write, fact-check, and edit reviews and short author interviews
- There’s a possibility of tweeting and writing for the magazine’s blog
- Interns will also help staff our very busy bookroom, which receives hundreds of books a week
- Unpacking books and trafficking them to editors and reviewers
- Doing liaison work with publishers (requesting review copies, art, etc.)
- Helping maintain a log of assignments
- Love of books
- Interest in publishing as possible career
- Good writing skills; editing/copyediting experience a plus
Company Web Address: www.publishersweekly.com
How to Apply: e-mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Everett Jones, Assistant Reviews Editor at PW. EJones@publishersweekly.com