New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Production Editor
HarperCollins Publishers is the second largest consumer book publisher in the world, with operations in 18 countries. With nearly two hundred years of history and more than 120 branded imprints around the world, HarperCollins publishes approximately 10,000 new books every year in 17 languages, and has a print and digital catalog of more than 200,000 titles. Writing across dozens of genres, HarperCollins authors include winners of the Nobel Prize, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, the Newbery and Caldecott Medals and the Man Booker Prize.
• At least 2-3 years of prior trade book publishing experience, preferably in production editorial or managing editorial
• Must possess strong copy-editing and proofreading skills, including familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style
• PC skills required, including use of Word, Track Changes, and Excel
• Must be detail-oriented, proactive, well-organized, and able to set priorities and juggle workload in a fast-paced environment
• Must interact well with colleagues of all levels from various departments
• Must possess college degree or equivalent experience
• Assumes production editorial responsibilities for originals, from the receipt of the edited manuscript through bound book, and some offsets (as needed)
• Copy-edits and proofreads ancillary material, such as front matter, back matter, cover copy, teaser excerpts, etc.
• Works with editors, designers, and production managers in anticipating and resolving problems
• Evaluates and coordinates artwork and/or back-matter materials
• Assigns projects to freelance copy-editors, indexers, and proofreaders and checks their work
• Handles multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and tight production schedules
• Provides backup for the department as needed
If you are interested in this position, please submit cover letter and resume online.
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Receptionist/ Foreign Rights Position
InkWell is one of the world’s leading literary agencies, proudly representing major literary prize winners as well as many of the world’s bestselling and most loved authors. They enjoy a considerable international reputation as a significant and innovative player in the industry. They have agents based in Australia, Boston, and Dallas. They continue to be excited by—and on the lookout for—original ideas, riveting stories and great writing.
• Must be articulate, personable, and hold a high level of interest in the publishing field
• Strong editorial skills are a must
• Solid written, verbal, and computer skills are necessary
• Should be motivated, highly organized, and have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
• Must be able to work with and without direct supervision
• Answering phone calls and welcoming visitors in a warm and professional manner
• Foreign Rights assistance will be in the area of tax form processing, book fair preparation, overseas mailings and other department needs
• Minimal assistance with the management of the office
If you are interested in this position, please email your cover letter and resume in the body of the email (no attachments) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Type in subject line: Reception and Foreign Rights Position.
Seeking Full-Time Marketing Manager, Art
The Quarto Group creates and owns proprietary content, publishing books from a diverse portfolio of imprints that are creatively independent and expert in developing long-lasting content across specific niches of interest. They sell books across 50 countries and in 39 languages through a variety of traditional and non-traditional channels, while constantly looking for new ways to create and deliver content that people need.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communication, or business
• 3+ years experience in marketing of enthusiast or consumer-based products
• Highly creative with an ability to conceive of new and innovative approaches to marketing
• Strong ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with Publishing, Sales, and authors
• Thorough knowledge of media, public relations, and publicity organizations and/or book publishing
• Computer skills, including familiarity with spreadsheets, word processing, database, and desktop publishing programs
• Willingness to travel to trade shows or conventions as needed
• Create and execute marketing plans with specific goals for individual titles and overall lists under the Quarto imprints. These plans shall be designed to generate sales, build brand awareness, and maximize exposure to the target audience through online, print, broadcast, and other channels
• Produce press releases and media kits, write advertising copy, produce short promotional videos, and maintain social-media and related sites with news and supplemental marketing content
• Arrange for author interviews, excerpts, and reviews in print, broadcast and online media. Coordinate author events and book signings.
Organize mailings of review copies and supporting material, arrange for production and mailing of bound galleys
• Maintain a detailed and well-organized database of contacts and mailings
• Develop creative and strategic initiatives to expand the online presence of our products, authors, and brands in social media and other enthusiast-based communities, and maintain a thorough network of contacts within the relevant subject areas
• Work with the publisher to explore, develop, and promote online instruction and education opportunities and projects on behalf of the imprint
• Manage budgets, schedules, and priorities in support of these initiatives, taking into account the appropriate level of resources, target audience, type of media, materials, and associated events
• Research, negotiate with, and manage outside freelance marketing resources as needed
• Maintain a thorough network of contacts within the relevant subject areas
• Hold regular check- ins with top authors of the front list, coaching, directing, and integrating their promotional activities with those being executed in house
• Communicate regularly to the company on marketing initiatives, developments, and accomplishments
• Work with National Account and Specialty Sales Reps to ensure customers are informed of publicity and marketing activity that might support sales efforts in the various channels, and partner with them to provide marketing materials that may aid their sales strategies
• Other duties as assigned
If you are interested in this position, please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Junior Designer, Covers
The Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc., originated in 1933 and is known today for the broad scope of our publishing program, our savvy selection of books, and our creative efforts to market them.
• Creative, organized, process-oriented, passionate about publishing.
• Passion and expertise for Typography and Design
• Thorough knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
• Print production knowledge and skills
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and work independently to meet deadlines
• Collaborative spirit and positive attitude when working with internal and external partners
• Ability to think creatively to be an effective problem solver
• Designing mechanicals, trafficking work, and preparing and delivering files for print
• Creating original covers, illustrations and photo research
If you are interested in this position, please apply online. Please include a link to your portfolio.