Simon & Schuster is a major force in today’s consumer publishing industry, dedicated to bringing an extensive cross section of first class information and entertainment, in all printed, digital, and audio formats, to a worldwide audience of readers. They are currently seeking a publicity assistant for the nonfiction team of one of their imprints!
They are looking for someone who can handle some very well-known authors, so applicants should have previous publicity experience.
If interested, and for more information, please contact Katherine Gales at email@example.com.
Westchester-based STM Publisher, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., seeks Marketing Brand Manager with strong writing skills to manage the marketing of a group of journals.
The Brand Manager is responsible for leading an integrated marketing strategy for specified journal/book portfolio to ensure strongest results in sales (subscription and non-subscription income generation), citation, usage, and overall product impact in the marketplace. Marketing activity includes, but is not limited to: managing direct mail and email marketing campaigns, writing copy, proofreading, design concepts, publicity, calls for submission, advertising, list build, sales support, market research, competitive analysis, and analysis of marketing ROI.
The Brand Manager will be responsible for supporting the full range of marketing and promotion activity for the department, including but not limited to: creating, scheduling, and proofreading of all marketing and promotion materials (print/online) to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Create integrated marketing plan for each product (either journal or book) in portfolio and execute for highest results (sales and ROI)
- Develop compelling direct mail and e-mail campaigns with clear features/product benefits, along with high-impact headlines, endorsements, and calls for action
- Research and build strong mailing/e-mailing lists to support marketing in areas of assignment, in conjunction with marketing colleagues
- Copy-write, proofread, and ensure highest quality communications, whether direct mail, e-mail, press releases, publicity, calls for paper, or conference materials
- Lead design concepts for all marketing campaigns, and ensure impact and desired results
- Plan list selections carefully for every campaign, and develop strategies for maximizing effectiveness of lists
- Research competition, and ensure our product promotion and pricing is well-targeted to attract market share
- Review conference plans, and ensure strongest possible exposure for product via meetings – including driving sales, visibility, lead generation, and list build
- Communicate effectively with authors/editors to engage interest and present compelling plan for brand development and sales
- Manage solicitation of strong endorsements and testimonials to provide powerful external justification of value proposition
- Analyze, track, and monitor marketing performance by product/campaign to assess marketing ROI and implement innovation/improvements as needed
- Write marketing copy, headlines, and taglines for use throughout marketing campaigns
- Proofread all copy for print or online marketing campaigns to ensure 100% accuracy and highest possible quality
- Review website communications on an ongoing basis to ensure optimal quality, accuracy, and timeliness of content posting, provide suggestions for immediate improvement or modification to marketing department management
- Support list management and list research to ensure strongest possible end-user outreach
- Strong copy-writing skills, and ability to communicate product value persuasively
- Ability to manage high volume of work, with high degree of independence
- Excellent internal and external communication ability
- Keen analytic skill and ability
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong proofreading ability
- Solid knowledge of social networks and navigation of the sites
- Interest in medicine or science is a plus
College Degree required
Strong marketing and sales background and demonstrated ability to plan and execute effective marketing campaigns. Marketing background, with a few years of direct marketing or brand management experience desirable.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Jayne Woolf at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at email@example.com.
Princeton Architectural Press is looking for a multi-talented individual who has excellent Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign skills to work as a Production Prepress Manager. The applicant should understand all aspects of book print production. The candidate will work closely with design and editorial to troubleshoot files and image problems and to help produce printer-ready files for books. The position requires excellent technical skills as well as artistic sensitivity to the aesthetics of the project. Candidates must have a proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite 5 on the Macintosh platform. Knowledge of K4 and Abobe Digital Publishing Suite is a plus. A minimum of two years of experience is also required.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Four-color retouching and image manipulation of photos and illustrations in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Reviewing files from the project editor and designer, preparing tests of art and design elements, and reviewing tests and proofs
- Recommending revisions to files or requesting replacement files that will eliminate or reduce anticipated print problems
- Preflighting and preparing final book files to send to printer
Princeton Architectural Press is a leader in architecture, design, and illustrated publishing, both in market share and in editorial and design excellence. With over 700 titles on their backlist, they consistently seek the best in the field and are privileged to be able to attract and publish it. They’ve established a reputation in part by identifying new trends and publishing first books on emerging talents, as well as definitive works on established names, and by creating books of unsurpassed design quality and production value.
To apply for this job position, please email a pdf version of your cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at email@example.com.
Encounter Books is an activity of Encounter for Culture and Education, a tax exempt, non-profit corporation dedicated to strengthening the marketplace of ideas and engaging in educational activities to help preserve democratic culture.
Currently, Encounter Books is seeking a Production Manager who will work closely with their senior staff and will assist in all aspects of production. They are looking for someone who can multitask well and learn quickly. The ideal candidate will be capable of working in a team and independently, have very strong editorial and organizational abilities, and an interest in book publishing with a focus on production. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred. A basic knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign is a definite plus.
- Communicating with authors, editors, and designers (passing along deadlines and following up)
- Assigning ISBNs and generating barcodes
- Registering books with the Library of Congress
- Maintaining an online database with title information and updating all book data for distribution
- Compiling sales reports and low-stock reports
- Monitoring inventory levels and assisting with reprints
- Maintaining ebook data and routing files for ebook conversion
The Production Manager will learn and be responsible for managing details of the entire scope of book production, from an author’s idea, to a completed manuscript, to publication and shipping of the final product. Encounter Books is looking for someone who can work full-time in their Manhattan office above Union Square. They will give preference to those who can start as soon as possible. Successful candidates will gain an understanding of the entire process of publishing. Encounter Books has a strong nonfiction list, and they are growing.
If interested, please send Word documents of your resume and cover letter to Heather Ohle, Director of Production, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Title: Awards Coordinator
Description: New York City-based trade association is seeking an Awards Coordinator to assist with a prestigious business journalism awards program. Network with the business media industry’s best and brightest editors, and gain a firsthand look inside the inner-workings of a successful awards competition.
Timeline: This is a full-time temporary position.
November 7 – February 1 | 9am to 5pm
Skills: Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word, Web-savvy, and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. The Awards Coordinator must also be able to work quickly, accurately, and multi-task.
- Enter data
- Track and proof submissions
- Communicate with entrants
- Prepare entries for judging process
- Assist during judging events (live and online)
- Notify finalists of their status
Rate: $10 per hour
Please send your resume and cover letter to NealAwards@abmmail.com. For more information about the competition, visit www.americanbusinessmedia.com/NealInfo.