Fodor’s Travel, an imprint of Random House, Inc., is looking for a fall semester intern to work for credit in midtown Manhattan. This internship is 20 hours/week, and will run from September to December.
The intern will work closely with the Associate Managing Editor and Production Editors to gain experience doing many of the tasks they do:
- Correction checking and light proofreading of our print titles, including covers
- Creation of first- and second-pass proofs using Typefi, our desktop-publishing system
- Quality-assurance checking of ebooks and possibly apps
- Keyboarding of changes to Word files
- Possible review of the work of freelance proofreaders, depending on the intern’s aptitude and experience
By closely shadowing the Fodor’s production-editorial staff, a nexus of print and ebook production at our company, the intern will be central to the creation of several books and ebooks this fall and will gain a thorough understanding of the way in which all departments (editorial, production-editorial, production, cartography, and art) collaborate to create Fodor’s content.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to Cameron Todd at email@example.com, and CC Professor Jane Kinney-Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants will ultimately need to furnish a letter from their college confirming the intent to grant academic credit.
Bridalguide.com is looking for hard-working, web-savvy interns for the Fall 2012 semester. Responsibilities include pitching ideas for web-exclusive content; writing blog posts and potentially feature articles; building articles, blog posts, and photo galleries in their content management system; helping with their Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media strategies, and much more. They’re looking for candidates who are self-motivated, detail-oriented, and passionate about weddings. Experience with HTML and Photoshop is a huge plus.
If interested in this internship opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org with “Fall Internship” in the subject line. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at email@example.com.
Assist Sharpe Reference’s editorial team in the development and publication of reference works for print and electronic programs!
Manuscripts & Online Content Development:
- Prepare manuscript files for review, revision, and launch
- Maintain database of contributors in conjunction with general editors
- Serve as liaison with authors, editors, and in-house staff
- Work with Development Editors in reviewing manuscripts and assisting in development, editing, and updating of print and online content
- Review images, request permissions, maintain log, and prepare image/map program for submission to production and for online purposes
- Assist editors in developing and repurposing content for online products
- Assist editors in electronic publication program management
- Prepare and send contracts, letters, manuscript-preparation guidelines, author questionnaires, and computer information
- Maintain correspondence with authors and field inquiries
- Assign ISBNs, and create Contract Data Sheet for distribution to various departments
- Maintain correspondence with prospective editors and authors
- Enter proposal and contract information into STAR database
- Conduct market research for new ideas and products
- Perform various administrative duties as necessary (check requests, correspondence, tracking royalty advances, CIP applications, comp copies, budget sheets, etc.)
- Assist editors and director of new program development, as requested
For more information about the company and how to apply, click here. When applying, please copy (CC) Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Persea Books, Inc. is a small, independent publishing house, established in New York in 1975. They are looking for a part-time employee to assist in office bookkeeping. Responsibilities include: royalties, promotional work, and assisting in the creation and maintenance of ebooks and Print-on-Demand titles. The position is for seven hours a week, $12.00 an hour. For more information, please visit their website: http://www.perseabooks.com/.
If you are interested in this job position, please send your resume and cover letter to Loie Merritt at email@example.com. Please copy (CC) Professor Soares at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MTM Publishing is an elite book producer and editorial services company. Through this editorial and research assistant position, the chosen candidate will assist the staff of an award-winning company in the coordination and research for book development projects, including the Political Handbook of the World, Princeton Companion to Atlantic History, and Science and Politics: Issues and Controversies. This position will include communication with academics, authors, and other contributors as well as research and writing on some aspects of the above projects, and general administrative support.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Well-organized and detail-oriented
- Resourceful researcher
This position is part-time – approximately 12 hours/week – and pays $10/hour.
If you are interested in this temporary job position, please send your resume, cover letter, and a writing sample to Valerie Tomaselli at email@example.com. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.