Ahmed Alali (’15) is an editor of fiction and nonfiction at Rewayat, a company that publishes Arabic and translated novels for young readers and adults in the United Arab Emirates. Rewayat is a subsidiary of the Kalimat Group, the UAE’s “frontrunner in the field of Arabic Literature publishing.” (Kalimat is Arabic for “words”.) Continue reading “Alumni in the Spotlight | Ahmed Alali”
Rosen Publishing: Editorial Assistant
Rosen Publishing is an independent educational publishing house that serves the needs of students in grades Pre-K through 12 with high interest, curriculum-correlated materials. They are seeking qualified, detail-oriented, and highly organized candidates for their Editorial Assistant position.
This week, instead of job postings, we are going to focus on internships available in New York City. Some of these internships start soon and some start next semester. So anyone looking for an internship for next semester’s Internship I class should definitely read this post.
Press4Kids: Editorial Intern
News-O-Matic is looking for an Editorial Intern. There’s potential here for the job to develop into a full-time position!
Be a part of “America’s Daily Newspaper Just for Kids!” Join the News-O-Matic team to deliver exciting news for young readers and inspire a love of nonfiction at an early age. More than 3 million kids have downloaded the News-O-Matic app and more than 100,000 K-8 students read the current-events articles on a daily basis. Learn what it’s like to be at the crossroads of journalism and education at the forefront of emerging media.
News-O-Matic may be for elementary and middle school students, but the publication doesn’t shy away from complex stories. Topics range from world politics to scientific discoveries, sports, and art. An intern at News-O-Matic will be able to do much more than simple research. As part of a small News Room, each person can submit story ideas, make suggestions for improved design and usability of the app, and contribute to social media. Previous interns have conducted interviews with world-famous athletes and world leaders and amassed a portfolio of impressive bylines.
It’s a plus if you can edit images or video, translate into Spanish for English Language Learners, or help promote News-O-Matic on social.
If you are a responsible, enthusiastic, and dedicated writer or reporter looking to make a difference in the world, send an email with your resume and a cover letter. We’re trying to inspire a love of reading nonfiction and empower a new generation of kids to love the news, so hopefully you share our passion.
For more information and to apply, click here.
NewsCred: Editorial Intern
NewsCred’s mission is to help brands tell exceptional stories that drive business results. They believe this is the future of marketing, and it can make peoples lives better and improve the internet, too. NewsCred is the world’s leading content marketing company. They build software that supports marketers in content planning, creation, publishing, and analysis. They help brands speak to their audiences by providing both bespoke original content and content licensed from the worlds leading publishers. Finally, as pioneers in the industry, they provide unique professional services to ensure that their customers find measurable success through content marketing.
NewsCred is looking for motivated editorial interns to join our growing team this Fall for 3-4 months. This is a part-time or full-time position based in New York City available for credit or for pay. You will be paired with a mentor but will be given many opportunities to work with the entire editorial team.
- English, journalism, or communications major preferred
- Juniors, seniors, and recent graduates preferred
- Prior editorial internship experience preferred. Experience working in different content management systems is a plus
- Must have solid editing skills and keen attention to detail
- Must have a positive attitude and a collaborative spirit
- Must be a self-starter, problem solver, and have a strong desire to learn
Day to day job requirements
- Curating related content from leading media outlets
- Working with editors to edit and copyedit articles
- Ideating content with editors and communicating with writers
- Sitting in on client meetings, learning how our partnerships work and how different NewsCred departments work together
- Helping with project management of articles, infographics, and other forms of content
For more information and to apply, click here.
Penguin Group: 2018 Spring Internship Program
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom, and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subjects for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Penguin Random House offers paid internship opportunities during the Spring, Summer, and Fall in various business areas such as contracts, editorial, finance, graphic design, managing editorial, marketing, online marketing, production, publicity, sales, subsidiary rights, and operations.
Internship opportunities are available in their adult, children’s, and corporate divisions, and interns will work in either our Hudson Street or Broadway office location. For the Spring Internship, you will be required to work 14 hours per week.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter using Penguin’s online application process. In your cover letter, please indicate up to three business areas that you are applying for in your cover letter. You should also include if you have a preference for working within an adult or children’s imprint or if you are particularly interested in any genre(s).
Sterling Lord Literistic is defined by its rich heritage as well as the energy and commitment of agents who are passionate about the writers they represent. One of the most dynamic independent agencies in New York, Sterling Lord Literistic combines a long tradition of literary excellence with a diverse and successful client list unparalleled in the industry. They represent a wide range of authors, including National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize winners, New York Times bestsellers, literary and commercial novelists, politicians, journalists, scientists, and noted writers in children’s literature. The winning combination of established authors and newly emerging voices attests to the past achievement and future promise of the agency.
• 2-3+ years of assistant experience
• Able to write clear and compelling prose and be comfortable pitching books and authors in-person and on the phone
• Understands books, sales, and marketing and is able to communicate an author’s strengths and ideas in a single sentence and in a single page, as well as in a full proposal and book
• Should understand that a good agent matches the best experts with great book ideas with the perfect publishing team
• Must be able to initiate, implement, and complete projects without hand-holding
• Must thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple, conflicting deadlines and expectations
• Must excel in self-direction, results-orientation, and attention to detail and have high expectations for yourself
• Must be comfortable dealing with high-end clients and solving unsolvable problems on a daily basis
• Client management
• Book proposal and pitch writing
• Business development
If you are interested in this position, please send your a cover letter, CV, and a list of three experts you think should have book deals, with a one-sentence description of their platforms to Celeste Fine at email@example.com.
ABRAMS is the preeminent publisher of high-quality illustrated books for adults, adolescents and young children. ABRAMS is the publisher of bestsellers such as the wildly popular “The Diary of A Wimpy Kid” series, award-winning cookbooks of Alton Brown and the stunning photography of Yann Arthus-Bertrand’s “Earth From Above” series. ABRAMS is conveniently located in the NYC mid-town Chelsea area.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1 – 2 years publishing and/or office experience
• Position requires accuracy, careful attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and follow through consistently
• Excellent grammar, spelling, communication, and writing skills are essential.
• Must be highly organized, energetic and able to juggle multiple priorities efficiently and calmly
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
• Foreign language fluency is a plus
• Log and read manuscript submissions
• Help with research and development of new projects
• Coordinate contracts and payments with accounting department
• Act as liaison with authors and agents
• Traffic materials on active projects within editorial department as well as to and from other departments
• Write copy for tip sheets, catalogs, and book jackets
• Take notes at editorial, publication board, and launch meetings
• Answer phones, fax, email, type, send and file correspondence/packages, handle general editorial tasks as needed by editor
If you are interested in this position, please email your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with TITLE OF THE POSITION in the subject line.
Grove Atlantic, Inc. is an American independent publisher, based in New York City, New York, that was formed in 1993 by the merger of Grove Press and Atlantic Monthly Press. The company’s imprints, which include Grove Press, Atlantic Monthly Press, The Mysterious Press, and Black Cat publish literary fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama and translations. The company’s imprints published the books by the 2006 and 2007 recipients of the Man Booker Prize: The Inheritance of Loss (Hamish Hamilton / Atlantic Monthly Press) by Kiran Desai; and The Gathering (Jonathan Cape / Black Cat) by Anne Enright, respectively.
• At least a year of publishing or related experience
• Ability to multi-task and set priorities
• Excellent writing, organizational, and computer skills are a must
• Maintain media/bookseller database
• Organize and circulate press clippings
• Prepare weekly publicity updates
• Mail galleys to the pre-publications
• Coordinate Awards submissions
• PW forecasts (twice a year)
• Coordinate catalog mailing and checklists
• Maintain author photo and author questionnaire folders
• Assist with social media out reach and newsletters
• Prepare press materials paperback titles
• Assist Publicity Director when needed
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your cover letter and resume to Deb Seager at email@example.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning.
• Employment eligibility to work in the US
• Availability to work full business hours in our New York office
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• A sharp eye for detail and strong copy editing skills
• Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
• Fluency in MS Excel
• Knowledge of information systems, metadata standards, ONIX protocol, and HTML is preferred
• 1-2 years’ prior work experience is preferred
• Interest in books and the business side of publishing is preferred
• Review and process updates to product metadata, as well as enter and correct metadata as needed
• Review regular reports of system errors and metadata failures
• Field questions and requests from other departments and data partners related to ONIX and related business systems and route them appropriately
• Work with Metadata Operations Associate to identify and complete data clean-up projects
• Maintain departmental documentation on workflow, data partners, and proprietary systems
• Contact data partners proactively to fix problems with the ONIX process as they occur
• Assist Metadata Operations Analyst and Metadata Operations Associate with QA testing for system enhancements and improvements
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a copy of your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and please be sure to indicate the job title for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
Since 2002, Quirk has published everything from bestselling novels to cookbooks, craft books, art books, children’s titles, and more–always with a focus on originality, innovation, and fresh ideas. Our recent New York Times best sellers include Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, William Shakespeare’s Star Wars by Ian Doescher, Geekerella by Ashley Poston, and the immortal Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Join us and let’s make some awesome books together.
• You must be an excellent writer
• Up-to-the-minute familiarity with new books, new writers, and new trends in popular culture
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and work methodically to deadlines
• Ability to work independently
• Assist the Publisher, Managing Editor, and editorial staff with the acquisition and development of various book projects
• Staff front desk/reception area
• Expect to perform many clerical tasks (filing author contracts, re-ordering supplies, assisting with large mailings, and so forth)
If you are interested in applying for this position, send a cover letter, resume, and please submit examples of your best work along with your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Fiction, journalism, criticism, blog posts, comic strips, the form doesn’t matter. Just send your best writing.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
• 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
• Genuine interest in publicity and book publishing, specifically nonfiction
• Interest in the media, news, and current events a plus
• Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Strong follow-up skills
• Exceptional writing skills and attention to detail
• A proven ability to multi-task and prioritize in a deadline driven environment
• An understanding of social media as a marketing tool
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Researching new media trends, handling media requests, and responding to a variety of calls from media, authors, and booksellers
• Writing press releases, pitch and galley letters, interview alerts, quote sheets, etc.
• Updating and maintaining media lists in publicity and marketing databases
• Pitching and scheduling author events and interviews, coordinating travel and hotel accommodations for touring authors, and creating detailed tour schedules
• Contributing ideas for marketing strategies and promotions
• Being a representative of the two imprints to in-house departments, media, authors, etc.
• Providing general administrative support by answering phones, taking messages and following up, facilitating books at author events, managing calendars, sending packages to the media, managing expenses, tracking press coverage clips, etc.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online.
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom.
• 2-3 years book publicity experience
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Fluency with current media trends and developing promotional platforms, including conferences, social media, podcasts and newsletters
• Proven ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, collaborative environment
• Strong organizational skills and detail-oriented nature
• Proficiency with Publicity Assistant and Cision
• Pitching and securing national and regional media, including print, television, online and radio
• Arranging and assembling multi-city book tours and author appearances
• Writing press releases, targeted pitch letters, author bios and other promotional materials
• Creating targeted mailing lists
• Cultivating and maintaining media relationships
If you are interested in this position, please fill out an application online.
Bonnier Publishing USA houses both children’s and adult publishing imprints. The flagship office, as well as the children’s imprints, are based out of New York City and include trade publisher Little Bee Books and the licensing/media tie-in imprint, Sizzle Press. The adult imprint, Weldon Owen, is a highly respected and veteran lifestyle publisher based out of San Francisco. Bonnier Publishing USA is a division of Bonnier Publishing in the United Kingdom, and is ultimately owned by global media group Bonnier AB.
• Book publishing industry experience a plus
• Ability to multi-task and efficiently manage time, priorities, and resources
• Friendly, courteous, outgoing, and customer service oriented
• Proficient in Microsoft Office
• Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
• Detail oriented while maintaining an extremely positive attitude
• Must be able to work independently and productively with minimum supervision
• Team player with a “can do” attitude that can work in a fast-paced environment
• Providing general office support for the Director of Sales
• Assembling sales material for appointments, as well as communicating with the editorial department when additional material or information is needed
• Communicating with warehouse and accounts on operational issues
• Creating PowerPoint presentations of key titles each season for use by the sales team
• Managing order processing with the warehouse, coordinating reserves, tracking shipments, and monitoring the progress of orders that require special handling
• Taking responsibility for gathering sales data from accounts and distributing data internally to the sales team
• Attending departmental meetings as needed
• Coordination and production of sales materials, as needed
• Assisting the Director of Sales and sales team with various ad hoc projects as needed
If you are interested in this position, Please apply with your CV detailing your salary expectations. They’d love to know more about you than just what’s on your CV, so feel free to send a letter, video or comic monologue whatever showcases your passion for the company and the work you’d be doing.
Wenner Media, publisher of Rolling Stone, Us Weekly, and Men’s Journal brands, is the leading authority in music, entertainment, celebrity and pop culture. Their iconic brands attract the most passionate talent in the marketplace. We are a dynamic organization of innovative and dedicated professionals.
• Minimum of 1 – 2 years of experience in marketing and/or related communications experience
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task and prioritize
• Impeccable attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Creative thinker
• Highly organized
• Resourceful and proactive
• Proficient in PowerPoint, Excel and Google Docs
• Passion for music/entertainment/pop culture
• Monitor trends and produce research reports on competitors, brands, events, programs, artists, influencers, etc.
• Assist with preparation for client meetings and presentations
• Attend and contribute to internal meetings in connection with assigned projects, provide department head with timely feedback and follow-up regarding any action items
• Create and maintain relationships with cross-functional departments including sales, account management, design, finance, HR, accounts payable, travel, etc.
• Maintain billing process
• Day-to-day administrative support including but not limited to calendar management, travel arrangements, expenses, meeting and greeting clients, visitor system management, room reservations, etc.
• Assist the team with ongoing projects
If you interested in this position, apply online.