Pace University will be holding the Spring 2017 Job and Internship Fair on Wednesday, February 15, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm in the Gym and Student Union of One Pace Plaza.
Be sure to bring in your updated resume and look interview ready. There will be over 125 employers at the event all looking for a mix of majors and hiring for various positions.
Make sure to have several copies of your resume on hand, dress in your best professional attire, and get ready to do some very important networking.
Among the companies that will be in attendance will be iHeartMedia, IBM, KPMG, Deloitte, NYC District Attorney’s Office, Warner Music Group and many more.
This event is open to all students. For more information and to see the full list of employers, visit Handshake.
Please visit the Pace Career Services page if you have any additional questions about resumes, jobs, or internships.
On Thursday, April 21st students were invited to visit Simon & Schuster. Students sat in on a panel of alumni of the Pace Publishing program who now are employed at Simon & Schuster.
The panel included: Angela Zurlo ’07 (Production Manager, Children’s), Natascha Morris ’13 (Editorial Assistant, Children’s-Atheneum), Tatyana Rosalia ’15 (Production Assistant, Children’s), Melanie Mitzman ’12 (Imprint Marketing Manager, Gallery/Pocket), Jisoo Leones ’13 (Sales Assistant, Client Communications), Ebony LaDelle ’10 (Marketing Manager, S&S), Ashley Stout ’12 (Director of Contract Systems & Data), and Clare McGlade ’12 (Production Editor-Managing Editorial, Children’s). Students were welcomed with free books and the panel was moderated by the head of Human Resources, Joy Bertran. Bertran asked the alumni a series of questions and then opened the floor to students. Below are some highlights.
Things Alumni Wish They Knew Before Their First Job:
- You are never going to stop learning!
- Be open to opportunities, learn from everything.
- Take as many different classes as you can, while you are a student.
- Persevere hard for the job you want!
- Never undervalue the power of networking.
- Don’t burn any bridges, the publishing industry is small.
- Understand that if you’re really dedicated, you need to start from the bottom.
Applying for Jobs:
- Look for a job you Love.
- Make sure your resume matches the subject matter of the imprint you want to work for.
- Your cover letter is a writing sample. Don’t repeat what is already on your resume.
Students were very grateful for the opportunity to meet with the panel and ask questions about entering the industry. There were a mix of students in attendance ranging from undergraduate Pace students that are looking to enter the program and students currently in the M.S. in publishing program.
Students like Brittany Fuller, whose main interest is magazines, found the panel to be informative and enlightening when they discussed each job role and the many benefits and opportunities of working at Simon & Schuster.”It was great to hear from Pace students about their journey to Simon & Schuster, not to mention getting a whole bunch of books!” said Annie Rosa.
Jordan Forney is a Graduate Assistant for the M.S. in Publishing program at Pace University. She’s a proud alumnus of Seton Hill University and calls the United States Virgin Islands her home. If you need her you can find her typing away in the Pace publishing computer lab.
The job search process is a challenging and downright stressful task that every one of us has to endure in our lifetime. There has to be tools out there to make the rdeal simpler and easier. Thankfully Huffington Post has published an article by career strategist, Sherri Thomas, listing the best career apps and websites to land you your dream job. The list includes an app that is basically the Tinder version of job hunting and her 3 favorite career sites.
Click here to read the article.
Niche Media Holdings
Type: Full Time
Position: Editorial Assistant
- Organizes and maintains Editorial Director’s schedule
- Arranges travel schedules and itineraries for Editorial Director and, when needed, Creative Director
- Provides administrative support for Editorial Director – organizing office, filing, preparing documents, expense reports
- Organizes and maintains file system for editorial department, and files correspondence and other records
- Coordinates and arranges meetings, prepares agendas, reserves and prepares facilities, and records and transcribes minutes of meetings
- Makes copies of correspondence or other printed materials
- Prepares outgoing mail and correspondence, including e-mail and faxes
- Greets scheduled visitors and conducts to appropriate area or person
- Builds strong work relationships with other departments within the organization (art, photo, copy, fact, events, finance, etc)
- Maintains the editorial schedule for all magazines
- Run errands such as deliveries or pickups as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One year of administrative experience required
- Prior editorial experience preferred, ideally in a magazine publishing environment
- Proficiency in all MS Office programs and MAC platform
- Familiarity with InCopy and/or InDesign programs preferred but not required
View the original post here.
Type: Full Time
Position: Assistant Editor
- Reads and evaluates solicited and unsolicited manuscripts and recommends titles for publishing to the Executive Editor.
- Performs all editorial functions including providing revisions to author and line editing. Oversees copy editing and author approval/alterations.
- Provides editorial input into packaging design in order to ensure key selling features are reflected in the product package.
- Develops art recommendations for the vision team meeting with Art and Marketing, recommend titles and writes back cover copy and back page ads.
- Contributes to the development and execution of innovative editorial ideas and concepts, and contributes to new company initiatives.
- Screening and handling telephone calls from employees, authors, and other third parties.
- Sorting, opening and screening of daily department mail.
- Accurately incorporating author changes/corrections into manuscript database.
- Maintaining information in different editorial and production databases.
- Undergraduate Degree.
- 2+ years progressive experience in publishing, including editorial focus.
- 2+ years of administrative experience.
- Experience working with authors. – Excellent customer service skills.
- Able to prioritize and remain focused.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication, planning and teamwork skills.
View the original post here.