Harmony Books is dedicated to inspiring and helping readers to achieve personal transformation and well-being in all facets of their lives. Publishing books that offer unique approaches to health and wellness, lifestyle, diet, self-improvement, relationships, parenting and spirituality, Harmony guides readers to become their best selves both inside and out. Bestselling books and authors include Thrive by Arianna Huffington, The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy, The 4-Hour Workweek and The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, and titles by Deepak Chopra, Michelle Phan, Suzanne Somers, Gretchen Rubin, Daniel Amen, MD, and the Dalai Lama.
• 4 year college degree
• 1-2 years minimum book publishing or appropriate category experience
• Basic understanding of key marketing concepts and tools including email, social media marketing, search, as well as traditional book marketing
• Interest in health and wellness a plus
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Photoshop
• Helping to create title-specific marketing campaigns for upcoming publications as well as titles currently in the marketplace.
• Assist in executing marketing campaigns, including online initiatives, outreach to social networking venues, and consumers.
• Work closely with editorial and publicity on vertical content initiatives and social media outreach for specific categories.
• Cultivate relationships with branding partners in appropriate categories.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please apply online.
Counterpoint was created in 2007 through the acquisition of three notable independent presses: Counterpoint, Shoemaker & Hoard, and Soft Skull Press. In 2016, Counterpoint merged with Catapult. Author-driven, we devote all energy to the fresh, cutting-edge, and literary voices of our authors. The genres we cover are vast—fiction and nonfiction, poetry, graphic novels, and anthologies, all of which collectively focus on current affairs and politics, counterculture, music, history, memoir, literary biography, religion, and philosophy. Counterpoint’s main office is in Berkeley, California. Catapult and Soft Skull are primarily based in NYC. We are a creative company, and growing fast. All books are distributed by Publishers Group West.
• Be passionate about publishing good books
• Demonstrate excellent administrative, technical, and computer skills
• Be experienced in Microsoft Excel and Google Docs
• Perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
• Be action and results-oriented, with exceptional organizational and time-management skills
• Demonstrate an ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels
• Possess strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Work well independently and as a member of various teams, with an open-mindedness towards collaborating remotely and leveraging technology to work with teams in different locations
• Be genuinely enthusiastic about working for a fast-paced, innovative independent book publisher
• Bookkeeping/Accounting experience is a plus
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• Previous employment history should demonstrate an ability to work with financial reports, budgets, business office issues, inventory, and in customer service.
• Publishing industry or bookselling experience a big plus.
• Maintain and review external sales. Monitor, analyze and summarize various market sales reports.
• Communicate between editorial, the publisher and associate publisher, publicity, and accounting.
• Facilitate contracts and manage advances due to authors.
• Data entry, analysis, and reporting relating to new and existing contracts.
• Maintain a database of contracts and rights.
• Assist rights manager in tracking and managing subrights.
• Manage inventory, recommend and coordinate print and reprint runs according to forecasted market demand.
• Assist Publisher and Business Manager as needed.
• Travel 4-6x per year to our NYC office
If you are interested in applying, please contact Andy Hunter at email@example.com.
Since its founding in 1952, Basic Books has shaped public debate by publishing award-winning books in history, science, sociology, psychology, politics, and current affairs. Basic Books also publishes new works in African and African-American studies under the Basic Civitas imprint. Basic’s list of influential authors includes Isaac Asimov, Zbigniew Brzezinski, William F. Buckley, Stephen Carter, Iris Chang, Dinesh D’Souza, Richard Dawkins, Hernando de Soto, Jared Diamond, Michael Eric Dyson, Niall Ferguson, Richard Feynman, Richard Florida, Sigmund Freud, Howard Gardner, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Christopher Hitchens, Douglas Hofstadter, Leszek Kolakowski, Lawrence Lessig, Claude Levi-Strauss, Nelson Mandela, Alice Miller, Walter Mosley, James T. Patterson, Steven Pinker, Samantha Power, Diane Ravitch, Thomas Sowell, Ian Stewart, Cass Sunstein, Sherry Turkle, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, George Weigel, Cornel West, A.N. Wilson, James Q. Wilson, Irvin Yalom, Shing-Tung Yau, and Fareed Zakaria. Basic Books is an imprint of Perseus Books, a Hachette Book Group company.
• 3+ years prior book publishing or publicity experience, preferably in trade publishing
• Experience working with a wide variety of local and national media; knowledge of print, broadcast and online media contacts, trade book publishing, and the overall media landscape
• Superb written and verbal communication skills; poise and confidence in communicating with authors, agents, media, and in-house colleagues
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills: ability to multi-task, prioritize, manage time effectively, and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
• The ability to work well independently as well as collaboratively
• Experience with social media, especially Twitter and Facebook
• Secure reviews, author interviews, features, and op-eds/essays for assigned titles in both national and regional/local media; work with Publicity department colleagues on other titles and pitch the full list of titles, as necessary
• Build and maintain relationships with media and event venue contacts nationwide; meet regularly with New York-based contacts
• Arrange author events with bookstore and non-bookstore venues; coordinate travel for touring authors, as necessary
• Create dynamic press materials and targeted email pitches
• Collaborate with authors on publicity campaigns; maintain relationships with both front and backlist authors
• Partner with Marketing department to ensure that publicity plans and activities are consistent with overall marketing strategy for the book and the imprint
• Communicate with Editorial, Marketing, Sales, and Subrights as part of a cohesive publicity effort for each title
If you are interested in this position, please apply online.