Please send your cover letter/resume (DOC format only) to email@example.com, attention Mark Fox.
Offered by: Springer
Duration: Full Time
Location:New York, NY
About our company
Springer Science+Business Media is one of the most prestigious international scientific publishers of books, journals, and electronic media today, with subsidiaries and representatives all over the world. Our publications range from medicine to all fields of life sciences, and from mathematics to engineering. Wherever scientific research is carried out, highly qualified experts count themselves among Springer’s authors, including a large number of Nobel prize winners. Around 5,000 people are employed by the Springer Group worldwide.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
– Medical, Dental and Vision
– Life and AD&D;
– Flexible Spending Accounts
– Transit Accounts
– Tuition Assistance
– Summer Hours
The Editorial Assistant must prioritize and schedule the work assignments of the Acquisitions Editor. Must be able to analyze incoming calls/e-mail and provide any necessary feedback and troubleshoot any problems that may arise in the Editor’s absence. Other responsibilities include: corresponding with authors/editors, preparing book and journal proposals and contracts, maintaining paper and electronic files, managing all accepted journal articles/issue for timely publication and updating future publication plans accordingly; preparing camera-ready books for production for rapid publication. May be requested to attend conference exhibits and perform other duties as assigned.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Preparation of incoming manuscripts for production and publication e.g., photocopying of manuscripts and labeling/organization book files, thorough scrutiny of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness (as well as supplying camera-ready front matter material for each manuscript, including Table of Contents and Index when needed), completion of all internal forms to be circulated with manuscripts
* Logging of outstanding permissions and solicitation of permissions from the appropriate publishers/outside authors and/or interaction with Springer authors/editors to assist in the securing of permissions
* Soliciting peer reviews for prospects and signed projects as needed or as directed by Editor
* Preparing contract folders, arranging royalty payments for Series Editors, supporting monitoring and processing of reprints
* Under supervision of Editor, fulfilling Author/Editor needs, preparing a “before, during and after” relationship with the author
* Generating back cover copy and book marketing plans for Editor’s review and approval (in close cooperation with Editor and product management)
* Acting as liaison between Authors, production department and promotion departments after manuscripts have been submitted to production
* Maintenance of projects database for proposals, upcoming and published books
* Use Microsoft Office software, including Excel, Word and Outlook, plus additional database software, including internal systems: BFlow, JEM, etc.
* Handle non-strategic issues to maintain scholarly journals: office point of contact when Editor is traveling, prepare new editorial agreements for Editors, update JEM, request checks, maintain addresses Editorial Boards, etc.
* Schedule journal issues and analyze/prepare future scheduling
* Bachelor’s degree
* Minimum 2 years’ experience preferred in either science publishing or journal publishing
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Thorough knowledge of office procedures including efficient filing
* Solid spelling and grammatical skills
* Good inter-personal skills
* Ability to follow directions, work accurately, learn quickly, and exhibit strong organizational and analytical skills
* Must be flexible and able to prioritize, organize and coordinate work assignments and to determine the most efficient way to accomplish each task
* Must be able to act diplomatically in representing Springer
* Strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software capabilities is a must
* Must be able to work closely with other assistants
* Other duties as assigned
Visit our web site at www.springer.com.
Please apply using our online application system HERE.
We regret that we are unable to respond to each resume. Only those individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.
Springer Science+Business Media, LLC is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Literary Agent seeks an Office Manager/ Assistant with 1-2 years office experience, preferably in publishing.
Candidate will be responsible for day-to-day needs of a small but active office, some computer and tech support, and bookkeeping. Candidate will also assist with permissions, royalties, and handle foreign and subsidiary rights. Will work with current clients, read manuscripts, and is encouraged to bring in new clients.
Ideal candidate is an articulate, patient, organized, and very detail-oriented self-starter capable of juggling multiple book projects and office management tasks on a daily basis. Must be very comfortable handling finances and basic accounting. Knowledge of Quicken preferred, but will provide training if necessary.
Good benefits. Looking to hire for August start date.
Send Resume and Cover letter to:
Also check out their website:
POSITION: Senior Editorial Assistant
COMPANY: Psychology Press, part of the Taylor & Francis Group
LOCATION: New York
This Senior Editorial Assistant in the Psychology Press group is responsible for maintaining all routine author communication and providing administrative support for two Senior Editors who commission textbooks, supplements and scholarly works for the academic psychology market. Create and maintain standard reports, forms, contracts, and files. Extensive use and maintenance of database records. Prepare manuscripts for transmittal to production, including checking and processing permissions and coordinating Library of Congress copyright registration. Proofread book information for cover copy, and work with marketing, sales, and publicity departments in the US and UK offices. Arrange and distribute editorial reviews and book endorsements. Complete check requests for author and series editor payments. Training new junior members of the editorial team. Occasional duties may include convention travel, market research, and related tasks.
Some editorial assistant or closely related work experience a plus. Candidate must possess strong word processing, Excel and database skills, excellent language and organizational skills, ability to prioritize work under pressure; a knowledge of psychology is desirable but not essential.
BA or equivalent educational experience.
For consideration for this position, please state salary history, salary requirements, the position being applied for, and the source of the advertisement. Only responses with salary history and salary requirements will be considered.
No phone calls please.
Please respond to: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Jessica Flores in the Human Resources Department.
Human Resources Department
Taylor and Francis Group
270 Madison Avenue, NYC 10016