New York, NY
Seeking Full-time Associate Editor/Editor
The Overlook Press, a Soho NYC-based independent publisher with a broad list of titles, has an opening for an Associate Editor/Editor (title based on experience) to join our growing team.
• The ideal candidate will have the energy and drive to acquire and publish an interesting range of titles
• Minimum of 3-6 years’ editorial experience in trade publishing, in both fiction and non-fiction.
• Solid organizational and follow-though skills
• Line-editing talent
• Excellent writing skills
• Wide-ranging agent contacts
• Sense of the marketplace
• Acquiring across several of the company’s categories, including literary and commercial fiction and non-fiction in such areas as history and current affairs, biography, memoir, popular science/social sciences, and film/pop culture
• Developing original ideas for books
• Shepherding hardcover and paperback titles though the publication process
• Liaising with in-house sales, marketing, publicity, production, and art departments
If you are interested in applying, send a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements (salary commensurate with experience) to email@example.com
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Digital Production Designer
Hachette Book Group seeks a Digital Designer to help design and compose HBG’s fiction & non-fiction titles (1C and Non-Illustrated). The role requires apprenticing with customized web-based tools that utilize XHTML and CSS to render PDF and EPUB files. Previous InDesign composition experience is required, along with a working knowledge of XHTML and CSS. Composition knowledge will be required to solve page errors, such as fixing hyphenation, widows and orphans, or more complicated problems with tables, footnotes, and indexes. Candidates should have experience coordinating production on trade print titles as well as experience with creating EPUB files ready for retail.
• Book design & composition experience (trade book publishing experience preferred)
• Familiarity with proofreader’s marks and editorial conventions
• Knowledge of XHTML, CSS, and editor tools such as BBEdit or similar
• Working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, and InDesign
• Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, including styling and macro routines
• Scheduling title production across multiple publishers and imprints
• Designing original layouts
• Directly editing XHTML and CSS files
• Composing and correcting both print pages and ebooks as instructed
• Converting, cropping, and adjusting artwork files for print and ebooks
• Validating and delivering files to print and ebook supply chains.
If you are interested in applying, click here!
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Assistant Editor, Operations Research and Management Science
Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
• College background required, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
• Minimum 2 years experience in related editorial and/or research capacity
• Must be well-organized and attentive-to-detail
• Knowledge of Word and Excel required
• Willing to undertake training in database management systems
• Provides editorial support for approximately 20 subscription and Open Access journals, including regular correspondence with journal editors and editorial board members; internal liaison with production, JEO, accounting, customer service, marketing, and other departments; preparation of contracts and agreements; response to customer and contributor inquiries; monitoring publication schedules and page budgets;
supporting submission to indexing and abstracting services; assisting in preparation of marketing materials; conducting usage data analysis and competitive research; preparing journal performance reports; and
maintaining and updating information for the publisher’s database and web site. Also assists in research and preparation of materials for acquisition and development of new journals.
• Manages editorial relationships with editors and authors of selected book series and standalone titles; may include acquisition of new titles (including solicitation of peer reviews, preparation of proposals for internal evaluation, preparation of contracts and agreements, and negotiation of terms and schedules), in consultation with the Editors and Editorial Director.
•Develops publication of selected revised editions, including review and evaluation of requests from authors/editors and research of backlist to identify prospects.
3. GENERAL SUPPORT OF PUBLISHING SEGMENT
• Conducts regular correspondence with book authors and editors, including administrative support, response to inquiries and requests, and advising on all aspects of publication, before, during, and after publication.
• Serves as liaison with colleagues in production, accounting, customer service, marketing and sales departments (in multiple Springer locations).
• Maintains and updates information for the publisher’s database and web site; monitors accuracy of title information for use in marketing and sales materials; maintains data and information for Publishing Segment status reports.
• Advises book authors on manuscript formatting and presentation specifications; prepares incoming manuscripts for transmittal to production, including thorough review of manuscripts for internal consistency and completeness, apprising authors/editors of necessary revisions and corrections, preparation of front matter, and completion of all forms to be circulated with manuscripts internally; reviews and circulates cover proofs
• As needed, solicits peer reviews for proposals and signed projects, and solicits endorsement quotes on behalf of authors/editors.
• Prepares contracts and agreements, along with supporting documentation for routing; arranges for payment of stipends, honoraria, advances, and other fees and disbursements.
• Drafts and edits descriptive copy; assists in preparation of catalogs, flyers, and other marketing/promotion materials; provides support for conferences and other events.
• May attend conferences/exhibits and/or campus visits.
If you are interested, Click here!
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Editorial Assistant
Phaidon is the premier global publisher of the creative arts with over 1,500 titles in print. We work with the world’s most influential artists, chefs, writers and thinkers to produce innovative books on art, photography, design, architecture, fashion, food, and travel, and illustrated books for children. We currently have a fantastic opening for a talented individual to join the editorial team based in New York.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Prior internship or 1–2 years publishing and/or office experience.
• Self-directed and independent with the ability to follow through consistently on assignments.
• Good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
• Detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy, with minimal mistakes.
• Excellent grammar, spelling, communication, and writing skills. Copyediting/proofreading experience preferred.
• Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ability to create and maintain simple databases. Knowledge of InDesign would be an advantage.
• Demonstrated interest in art, photography, fashion, and culture.
• Communicate with authors, photographers, artists, and agents.
• Liaise with other departments and colleagues in the New York and London offices and elsewhere (design, production, sales, marketing, publicity, contracts, and accounting) to relay messages, follow-up on requests for information, and in general, anticipate when to proactively act on messages.
• Create fact sheets, catalogue copy, budget drafts, and cover copy.
• Organize and label artwork and digital files.
• Light proofreading, collating galleys, keyboarding text corrections.
• Read and evaluate manuscripts or drafts and write reader’s reports. Create and send standard letters/acknowledgements – e.g. proposal rejections/freelance applications.
• Organize Publisher’s calendar as necessary. Make travel arrangements, set up meetings, and book meeting rooms.
• Answer phones, e-mail, photocopy, mail material, file correspondence, log invoices, process expenses, and handle general editorial tasks as needed.
To apply, please send your full CV, with a cover letter to Deborah Aaronson, to Careers@phaidon.com to arrive by October 31st.
New York, NY
Seeking Full-Time Book Cover Designer
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom.
• Previous experience in book cover design is required.
• Designing the full jacket and prepping the mechanical for production.
• Creates about 30-40 original cover designs per year and brings an advanced level of skill set necessary to creating original and interesting designs.
• Candidates should have an understanding of the market place
• Versatile usage of photography and illustration,
• Advance usage of typography and fonts,
• Mature color sensibility,
• Flexible and explorative design sensibility.
• The designer is able to work on their own and/or in collaboration with the art director.
If you are interested in applying, Click here!