Are you interested in getting experience reading manuscripts and writing reader reports for a literary agent? This is a wonderful opportunity for anyone who is interested in working remotely on this specific aspect of the agenting process.
Jennifer De Chiara, of The Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency, is looking for an intern who can read at least one full manuscript each week. After completing the manuscript, the intern would write up a reader’s report, comprised of a few paragraphs describing why the manuscript is good or is not good as well as his or her recommendation. The manuscripts would be mostly YA and some adult, including genre fiction. A sample reader’s report, demonstrating Jennifer’s expectations, will be provided. Please indicate if the candidate is interested in working as an agent or editor in the future. Although this interest is not a requirement, it is preferable.
If you are interested, please e-mail your resume and letter of interest to Professor Denning at email@example.com to be considered for this position.
The Society for Human Resource Management is seeking an Editorial Intern for their offices in Alexandria, Virginia.
The Editorial Intern will research, propose, and write articles for the online news team and for HR Magazine. This is a Summer 2012 Internship. The opportunity is open to all full time academic students enrolled in an accredited university.
This internship will contribute to SHRM Online and SHRM print publication readers by researching and proposing story ideas and by participating in development of multimedia or graphic content for online and/or print publications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Write short news articles for SHRM Online and HR Magazine, and potentially longer feature articles
- Research and help prepare graphs, maps, charts and other materials for the HR News Department of HR Magazine
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Journalism student who has successfully completed some news writing and editing course work. Preference given for experience with news graphics. Internship will require 37.5 hours of work per week during the summer, with the potential for flexible hours and for part-time work after the summer. This internship can be taken for credit or not for credit. Graduate students are welcome to apply.
To apply for this position, please see their website. Please also email Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Westchester-based STM Publisher, Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., seeks Marketing Brand Manager with strong writing skills to manage the marketing of a group of journals.
The Brand Manager is responsible for leading an integrated marketing strategy for specified journal/book portfolio to ensure strongest results in sales (subscription and non-subscription income generation), citation, usage, and overall product impact in the marketplace. Marketing activity includes, but is not limited to: managing direct mail and email marketing campaigns, writing copy, proofreading, design concepts, publicity, calls for submission, advertising, list build, sales support, market research, competitive analysis, and analysis of marketing ROI.
The Brand Manager will be responsible for supporting the full range of marketing and promotion activity for the department, including but not limited to: creating, scheduling, and proofreading of all marketing and promotion materials (print/online) to ensure quality and accuracy.
- Create integrated marketing plan for each product (either journal or book) in portfolio and execute for highest results (sales and ROI)
- Develop compelling direct mail and e-mail campaigns with clear features/product benefits, along with high-impact headlines, endorsements, and calls for action
- Research and build strong mailing/e-mailing lists to support marketing in areas of assignment, in conjunction with marketing colleagues
- Copy-write, proofread, and ensure highest quality communications, whether direct mail, e-mail, press releases, publicity, calls for paper, or conference materials
- Lead design concepts for all marketing campaigns, and ensure impact and desired results
- Plan list selections carefully for every campaign, and develop strategies for maximizing effectiveness of lists
- Research competition, and ensure our product promotion and pricing is well-targeted to attract market share
- Review conference plans, and ensure strongest possible exposure for product via meetings – including driving sales, visibility, lead generation, and list build
- Communicate effectively with authors/editors to engage interest and present compelling plan for brand development and sales
- Manage solicitation of strong endorsements and testimonials to provide powerful external justification of value proposition
- Analyze, track, and monitor marketing performance by product/campaign to assess marketing ROI and implement innovation/improvements as needed
- Write marketing copy, headlines, and taglines for use throughout marketing campaigns
- Proofread all copy for print or online marketing campaigns to ensure 100% accuracy and highest possible quality
- Review website communications on an ongoing basis to ensure optimal quality, accuracy, and timeliness of content posting, provide suggestions for immediate improvement or modification to marketing department management
- Support list management and list research to ensure strongest possible end-user outreach
- Strong copy-writing skills, and ability to communicate product value persuasively
- Ability to manage high volume of work, with high degree of independence
- Excellent internal and external communication ability
- Keen analytic skill and ability
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong proofreading ability
- Solid knowledge of social networks and navigation of the sites
- Interest in medicine or science is a plus
College Degree required
Strong marketing and sales background and demonstrated ability to plan and execute effective marketing campaigns. Marketing background, with a few years of direct marketing or brand management experience desirable.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Jayne Woolf at email@example.com. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Digital Publishing Services Department at HarperCollins Publishers in New York is looking for a Temp Digital/Ebook Production Assistant to play a key role in the creation of ebooks for HarperCollins Publishers. This is a significant and growing area where the focus will be on the daily management of ebook production.
Reporting to the Ebook Production Manager, the assistant will assist in the support of the HarperCollins Ebook Program. Primary responsibilities will consist of the daily trafficking of ebook files and materials to and from vendors, developing and maintaining relationships with all divisions, and ensuring quality and developing standards. This position requires attention to detai as well as good verbal and communication skills. Knowledge of digital asset systems, book publishing, or electronic publishing is preferred, but not required. The hours are from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and the position is paid.
To apply for this temp position, please send your resume and cover letter to Professor Denning at email@example.com.
As a reminder, each year, American Business Media awards the Robert L. Edgell Scholarship in the amount of $1000, to a student from Pace University’s MS in Publishing program who demonstrates an understanding of and interest in the business media industry. The deadline is approaching, so please apply now!
To apply, interested candidates must submit their application to Professor Jane Denning (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 551 Fifth Avenue, Room 805F, no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, February 24th. The applications will then be reviewed and a winner chosen by executives at ABM. The scholarship will be awarded on at the MS in Publishing Advisory Board meeting on Wednesday, March 28th.
Interested students must submit the following materials:
- A copy of your current resume
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: two from professors in the program and one from a current or former employer
- A 3-5 page double-spaced essay on one of the following topics:
- Based on your understanding of the field, especially in today’s economic climate, what are some of the unique challenges faced by b-to-b publishers and what do you think you’d have to do to successfully meet these challenges? Specifically, what are the relative roles for (and ultimately the future of) print and electronic media?
- You have just been named editor of a major b-to-b publication (pick any industry) that is examining its print/digital content strategy. What’s your view of the kinds of content business readers want in the magazine versus online? Explain your points.
- How do social media change the role of the b-to-b journalist? How can b-to-b editors put social media to work to enrich their offerings for and their connectivity with their audiences?
- What are b-to-b publishers doing in response to new technologies such as the iPad and other electronic reading devices. Specifically, think about how consumers are accessing media and that has impacted how publishers produce it. Look at specific publications that publishers produced (or initiatives they have taken) and discuss their impact in the marketplace.
- Today, the media is generally in a major downturn in advertising revenue, which creates great pressure to come up with new sources of revenue. What is the appropriate role for journalists and editors in helping solve that problem?
- Pick any current topic of interest in the general media and discuss how you would angle the story for a particular b-to-b audience. For example, you might look at how readers in the healthcare industry would want a b-to-b publication/Web site to cover the healthcare reform debate or what an audience of mortgage professionals might value in terms of the fallout from the sub-prime mortgage collapse.
Good luck to all applicants!