Berghahn Books is an independent scholarly publisher in the humanities and social sciences, with a focus on History, Anthropology, Politics & Economics, and Film Studies. They are currently looking for a Marketing intern for 2-3 days a week. The experience requires a responsible person who can handle multiple responsibilities in a small-firm environment, and the position will involve assisting with a range of tasks from market research to database work.
If you are interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Abigail Major at email@example.com.
A well-known architecture publication, the Architect’s Newspaper, is looking for an Ad Sales/Marketing intern. This job will entail compiling media kits, collecting materials, preparing mailings, and assisting in a variety of other general tasks and projects. The experience gained will give firsthand knowledge of what it takes to work in a publishing environment.
The Architect’s Newspaper is located at 21 Murray St, between Church and Broadway. It is looking for a personable individual with initiative and energy.
Applicants must be able to work at least two days a week and can be available to begin either immediately or in January. If interested, please email your resume and available hours to Linh Thoi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group is looking for an enthusiastic, career-oriented, full-time Editorial Assistant to work in their New York office on their growing list of titles in planning and urban design. Reporting to the Editor, the Editorial Assistant will provide support in all phases of the book publication process, from the concept through publication. The Editorial Assistant will be responsible for:
- Preparing and maintaining standard reports, forms, schedules, database records, contracts and files
- Coordinating and distributing editorial reviews and book endorsements
- Tracking projects throughout the reviewing, development, production, and publication stages
- Corresponding with authors to confirm manuscript delivery dates, clarify specifications, and respond to queries
- Monitoring due dates for manuscripts and related book materials
- Preparing manuscripts for transmittal to production
- Drafting descriptive and promotional copy for cover, promotion, and other marketing efforts
- Liaising with marketing, sales, finance, and production departments
- Collaborating effectively with colleagues in the editorial, production, design, marketing, and sales departments as well as with outside freelancers
- Providing administrative support for the architecture list as needed
- Limited conference travel and campus visits will be required in the position
BA or equivalent educational experience. Book publishing experience desirable. Candidate must have excellent organizational and communication skills (both written and verbal), with strong attention to detail; be able to prioritize multiple tasks; demonstrate a high degree of computer proficiency; possess a strong intellectual curiosity while remaining task oriented; and be committed to the overall goals of academic publishing.
If interested, please visit here to apply.
Berkshire Publishing Group is located in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. In 1998, it was founded as a specialist academic book development company. Today, Berkshire Publishing is looking to expand their permanent team in Great Barrington. In particular, they have a full-time opening for a graduate with a background in marketing.
Publishing internships are also available in Great Barrington for two graduates (BA, BSc, or MA/MS) with excellent academic records and at least some international experience. Chinese language skills and/or a background in environmental sciences is a great an advantage. Through the position, you will gain exceptional hands-on experience as you work with staff, authors, and editors around the world, learning about editorial procedures, project management, research, and book publicity. You must work a minimum of 20 hours per week and be able to commit to a three-month internship. Temporary housing may be available.
For more information, and to apply, visit http://www.berkshirepublishing.com/bpg/about/employment.asp.
MTM Publishing is an elite book producer/packager since 1992, producing high-quality innovative reference, nonfiction, and children’s books for a wide range of publishers. One of the company’s specialties is in complex, multi-contributor reference works for such publishers as CQ Press, Macmillan, Oxford University Press, Routledge, Sage, and Scribner’s. MTM Publishing is a recipient of many citations and awards, including most recently an Honorable Mention for the 2010 Dartmouth Medal for its six-volume Encyclopedia of Journalism for Sage Reference Opportunities.
MTM Publishing has an opening for an Editorial, Research, and Administrative Assistant Intern. The position requires a total of 14 hours per week. Responsibilities include:
- Research and editorial assistance on Young Adult nonfiction and fiction series
- General editorial assistant work, including proofreading, fact checking, inputting manuscript corrections, correspondence with authors and academic editors, tracking submissions, etc.
- Administrative assistant work, including ordering supplies, handling mail, etc.
The intern will be involved with or exposed to current and future projects:
- Research work on a historical dystopian series for Young Adults and input on first drafts
- Development stages on a specialized history reference work for Princeton University Press
- Development stages on Point-Counterpoint series on Immigration and Healthcare for Sage Publications
- Development work on a middle school nonfiction series, called Chronicles of Horror, for Charlesbridge Publishing
Furthermore, as an intern, you will not be limited to clerical tasks:
- You will be exposed to many aspects of book publishing and get hands-on experience with a variety of critical tasks in the book publishing workflow
- You will become part of a small publishing enterprise, where most decisions are discussed freely, and planning meetings are open to all employees and interns
- You will gain the benefit of the company president’s involvement on the board of several professional organizations, including the American Book Producers Association and the Women’s National Book Association; this extends the networking reach of all employees and interns in the company, and will expose the intern to a range of book publishing professionals
The ideal intern should be a detail-oriented individual with an ability to work independently as well as a creative and resourceful researcher, with a careful and thoughtful approach to analyzing sources. A familiarity with the MS Office suite for both Mac and PC is required, as is a familiarity with Quark and/or InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
Address your cover letter to:
President, MTM Publishing
435 West 23rd Street, #8C
New York NY 10011
If interested, please contact Prof. Jane Denning at email@example.com. Be sure to attach your resume and cover letter to the e-mail.