Bette Rockmore is the David Pecker Distinguished Professor of Publishing for 2017/18

“Bridging the Gap: From the Classroom to Corporate America”

Wednesday, November 29, 2017 | 6–8pm
Pace University, 163 Williams Street, 18th Floor
Please RSVP to
Refreshments and light snacks will be served.

Bette Rockmore spent 35 years in magazine advertising sales at Hachette, Meredith Corporation, and American Media. For the last eight years, she has served at SiriusXM’s Senior Vice President for advertising and sponsor sales. Today, she is a senior consultant at SiriusXM. In anticipation of her lecture on Wednesday, we’re posting a teaser Q&A.

How did you get your start in the industry?  

I’m a New Yorker and started in publishing at Ziff Davis selling classified advertising. We were acquired by CBS Magazines before being acquired by Hachette. I also worked at Meredith Corporation and American Media before moving to satellite radio.

How do you describe your current work? 

I am involved in projects that will help create growth in advertising sales.

What would you say is your greatest strength and how has it helped you succeed? 

I am able to project advertising forecasts and spark sales teams to exceed revenue goals.

How do you hire?  

I ask questions to get past what I have on paper about a candidate to get to their true capabilities. 

What are you hoping to accomplish this year as the David Pecker Distinguished Professor? 

I hope to give students insight into what awaits them after graduate school and help them reach their goals.

What are you hoping students will take away from your lecture?  

It’s incumbent on you to work hard and pursue the jobs you want by understanding the differences between school and work and by networking comfortably.

See you all at the lecture on Wednesday!

*This interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.