Date: April 2013, open until filled
Travel Reimbursement: Students taking the MetroNorth Railway or Pace Shuttle Bus from NYC will be reimbursed for their tickets. (MetroNorth Railway tickets are $24 roundtrip during peak hours).
The Publishing Department located at the Academy of Management (on the Pace Briarcliff Manor campus) is currently seeking an intern to aid with daily activities related to our 6 peer-reviewed journals. Daily activities may include processing manuscript submissions, running statistical reports, assisting with marketing, involvement with the print and electronic production processes, advertising, copyrights, multimedia creation and editing, updating website via content management system (CMS), and other tasks as needed within the publishing department. The intern will be under the direction of the Director of Publishing.
The intern will gain valuable experience in the STEM publishing industry, including:
- Oversight of life-cycle of scholarly articles, from submissions to decision to publication and beyond
- Use of plagiarism checking software
- Role of the managing editor
- Production work flow
- Reporting and metrics
- Understanding of journal level decision ratios, turnaround times, author reach/geography
- Analyses of citation rates, impact factor, downloads
- Communication and Marketing
- Assist with member newsletter
- Social media efforts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.)
- Multimedia projects (video, podcasts)
- A strong desire to work and/or learn about Scholarly Publishing.
- Document management – Faxing, copying, printing, emailing, organizing and maintaining files and databases.
- Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
- The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented, organized, self-starting, willing to learn new programs and skills, and have excellent communication skills.
- Self-starter, with the ability to independently complete advanced projects with limited supervision.
- Ideally will have successfully completed courses in production, copyediting, and publishing.
- Knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs.
The Academy of Management (“AOM” or “The Academy”) is the world’s leading professional association for management scholars, dedicated to creating and disseminating knowledge about management and organizations. Established in 1936 and currently comprised of a volunteer network of ~20,000 members across 105 countries, AOM publishes several academic journals, organizes conferences, and provides others forums for management professors and managers to communicate research and ideas.