Future industry publicists- consider the Publicist job opportunity at Penguin’s Young Adult Readers Group.
Join the Penguin Young Readers Group publicity team! We are currently seeking a Publicist to create and execute publicity campaigns across all our Young Readers’ imprints including Putnam, Dutton, Dial, Philomel, Viking, Razorbill, Nancy Paulsen Books, Puffin, and Grosset & Dunlap and ranging from board books through YA novels. This position will work on approximately 20 titles per season and will have the opportunity to work with key authors and campaigns.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Pitching to national and regional TV, print, radio, and online media and building strong media relationships.
- Working closely with publishers/editors, sales, and marketing.
- Writing press releases, targeted pitch letters, author bios, and other publicity material.
- Booking national author tours and local author appearances.
- Pitching authors for all trade show appearances.
- Creating targeted mailing lists & assisting with maintenance of the publicity database.
- Cultivating and maintaining author relationships.
- Minimum 3 years publicity experience; book publicity a plus
- Strong pitching technique and proven ability to generate creative story ideas
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to work within fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Strong organizational skills & ability to focus on details a must
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, Publicity Assistant
- Ability to travel less than 5% of the year via airplane, train or automobile required
- An interest in children’s publishing is a plus
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls/agencies.
Penguin Young Readers Group is one of the leading children’s book publishers in the United States. The company owns a wide range of imprints and trademarks including Dial Books, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Philomel, Puffin, Speak, Firebird, G. P. Putnam’s Sons, Viking, Razorbill, and Frederick Warne. These imprints are home to such award-winning, New York Times- bestselling authors as Laurie Halse Anderson, Jay Asher, Judy Blume, Jan Brett, Heather Brewer, Eric Carle, Roald Dahl, Tomie dePaola, Sarah Dessen, Anna Dewdney, John Green, Anthony Horowitz, Brian Jacques, Mike Lupica, Richelle Mead, Richard Peck, Jacqueline Woodson, and dozens of other popular authors. Penguin Young Readers Group is also the proud publisher of perennial brand franchises such as The Little Engine That Could, the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys series, Peter Rabbit, Spot, the Classic Winnie the Pooh, the Very Hungry Caterpillar, Strega Nona, Madeline, Mad Libs, Alex Rider, the Rangers Apprentice, Skippyjon Jones, Llama Llama, and Pippi Longstocking, among many others. Penguin Young Readers Group is a division of Penguin Group (USA), theU.S. member of the internationally renowned Penguin Group, one of the largest English-language trade book publishers in the world. The Penguin Group is owned by Pearson plc, the international media group.
Penguin Group (USA) values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.