Where: Penguin Random House
Location: New York, NY
The Subsidiary Rights department sells rights, such as translation, book club, audio, serial, and large print. The contract assistant?s primary activities are to draft and proof both foreign and domestic subsidiary rights contracts and liaise with agencies and publishers around the world. The assistant will also perform heavy administrative work, such as routing, mailing, and scanning contracts. S/he will learn about the business and sales side of publishing. There is room for growth.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
1. Assist the Contracts Manager
2. Drafts and proofreads contracts. Works with subsidiary rights department members, publishers, and foreign subagents.
3. Processes contracts and provides administrative support (mailing, copying, filing, scanning, etc.)
4. Enters contract workflow into Rights Management System.
5. Researches rights and contract terms from author agreements.
6. Works on other projects as necessary.
– 4 year college degree
– Interest in contracts and/or subsidiary rights
– Prior office experience
– Prior work or internship experience in publishing or at a literary agency a plus
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Excellent proofreading skills
– Superb attention to detail
– Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple and a high volume of projects at once
– Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook; Excel a plus
Use online application process here.
Export Sales Assistant
Where: Workman Publishing
Type: Full time
Location: New York, NY
The Export Sales Assistant supports the International Publishing department in selling Workman Publishing Inc.’s broad range of bestselling and award-winning nonfiction and fiction English-language books and calendars to distributors, wholesalers, bookstores around the world, including titles published by the Workman, Artisan, Algonquin, Algonquin Young Readers imprints, by Workman’s Storey and Timber divisions, and by its distribution client, The Experiment.
• Process and follow up on incoming orders from international sales representatives and distributors.
• Assist in providing information on forthcoming titles, inventory levels, order status, etc. to our international distributors, sales representatives, and customers.
• Communicate with Workman’s Customer Service and Credit departments and our outside warehouse on international order queries.
• Assist in responding to email and phone queries from international customers.
• Coordinate and send weekly sample mailings to distributors, sales representatives, and customers.
• Create and update sales spreadsheets on a monthly basis for each of our export sales groups.
• Assist the Export Sales and Marketing Director with international publicity requests and marketing efforts while working closely with both the in-house and foreign publicity teams.
• Help prepare for five seasonal sales conferences with our international distributors in Canada and the U.K. and assist with follow-up.
• Help prepare for four seasonal remote sales conferences with our international distributors in Australia and New Zealand and assist with follow-up.
• Help prepare for three international book fairs—including scheduling meetings, preparing sales reports, and shipping materials—and assist with follow-up
• Maintain export files and records.
• Assist in maintaining the international library and book room
• Assist the Export Sales and Marketing Director, the Export Sales Manager, and the Director of International Publishing.
● Must be highly organized, proactive, and detail-oriented, able to prioritize multiple projects, follow through, and meet deadlines.
● Strong clerical skills required.
● Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and DropBox.
● Good written and verbal communication skills, comfortable speaking on the phone with international customers.
● 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
● Interest in book publishing and sales.
● Book publishing internship or related office experience a plus
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Publishing Assistant, Acquisitions
Where: Phoenix International Publications
Location: Lincolnwood, IL
We’re a fast-paced publishing company specializing in children’s books and digital products.
– Approximately 100 employees in Creative, Sales, Operations, and Accounting
– A competitive benefits package
– A friendly company culture focused on creativity, teamwork, and results
We’re looking for a highly motivated, team-minded Acquisitions professional who will:
– Serve as assistant to our Acquisitions Department, primarily responsible for contracting new materials for children’s books and developing and maintaining strong relationships with outside partners
– Maintain contracts and department records
– Become familiar with all aspects of our organization
– Generate contracts for vendors based on contract requests with specific language for licensors, assignments, etc
– Mail out and maintain status of all contracts
– Maintain log of contracts and their status: approvals, payments, etc.
– Maintain individual daily and quarterly sales spreadsheets for apps and ebooks
– Communicate with vendors regarding invoice problems / claims
– Collect licensor copies and verify their review before sending out
– Act as the point of contact between acquisitions and accounting and inventory
– Various customer service issues
– Research and create spreadsheets as requested
– Order reference materials for creative
– Support Vice President and Executive Vice President as needed
– Create and update sales conference materials relating to Acquisitions
– Assist with copyright applications
– Assist with maintenance of reference libraries
– Research licenses and competition as needed
-Excellent organizational skills
-Accuracy and attention to detail
-Ability to prioritize and multi-task
-Ability to work with minimal supervision
-Strong written and verbal communication skills
-Evidence of initiative and flexibility
-Ability to work collegially
-Desire to hold a positive and cooperative attitude
-Ability to work in a team environment
-Customer service orientation
-Proficiency with spreadsheet and word processing software
-Experience with publishing and/or multi-disciplinary teams is a plus
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Production Editor
Where: Penny Publications, LLC
Location: Norwalk, CT
Penny Publications, LLC, is the leading puzzle magazine publisher of Penny Press and Dell puzzle magazines In 1996, Dell Magazines and Penny Press joined forces to create Penny Publications. We currently publish over 85 magazines, available on newsstands and via subscription throughout the United States and Canada. Our titles include Crosswords, Fill-Ins®, Logic and Math, Sudoku, Word Seek® and Word Search, and Variety puzzles. We also publish over 60 different puzzle books, available in bookstores, through the mail, and at PennyDellPuzzles.com.
Leading puzzle magazine publisher seeks detail and deadline-oriented candidate for position assembling, proofreading, and editing puzzles and word games for magazines, books, and electronic products. Individual must be able to multi-task with keen eye for detail. Love of puzzles a plus! 4-year Degree preferred.
If interested, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Dept CMC, 6 Prowitt Street, Norwalk, CT 06855; fax to 203-854-5962; e-mail to email@example.com