Simon & Schuster is a major force in today’s consumer publishing industry, dedicated to bringing an extensive cross section of first class information and entertainment, in all printed, digital, and audio formats, to a worldwide audience of readers. They are currently seeking a publicity assistant for the nonfiction team of one of their imprints!
They are looking for someone who can handle some very well-known authors, so applicants should have previous publicity experience.
If interested, and for more information, please contact Katherine Gales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Batty Publisher, an illustrated-books publisher based in Brooklyn, seeks a part-time publicity intern to start as soon as possible. You will get hands-on experience with many aspects of book publicity, working on a variety of daily projects, including mailings, updating database of contacts, writing posts for MBP blog and website, researching and contacting media, assisting writing publicity materials, and some office/organizational work. The length of the internship will be approximately twelve hours per week, starting in Winter 2012 and ending in Spring 2012. Timing is flexible.
Requirements: Demonstrated interest in publicity or marketing as well as publishing is preferred. Voracious appetite for all media (books, magazines, blogs, Tumblr memes, etc.) is required. Attention to detail and excellent writing and communication skills are also a must. Experience with social media is a plus. Extra points for wit and verve.
- Research and develop new internet marketing opportunities
- Contact blogs and other media outlets for publicity opportunities
- Help edit and update new website
- Help with ongoing document scanning project
- Update database of customers and publicity contacts
- BA or current college student
- A strong record of academic success from a top-tier college or university is preferred
- Initiative, self-starter with creativity and attention to detail
- Excellent grammar a must
- An interest in books, publicity, publishing, and art
- Must be a team-player who can work with others
- A strong interest in marketing and publicity is essential
- Good computer skills, including Excel and Word, and familiarity with internet marketing, are a plus
- The ideal candidate will be smart, versatile, and comfortable in a fairly fluid role
- Previous experience, though helpful, is not required
- Social media experience with Facebook and Twitter is a plus
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to A. Johnson at email@example.com. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
St. Martin’s Press is looking to hire a Publicity Assistant. This is a full-time paid position in the Publicity Department.
Reporting to a Senior Publicist for St. Martin’s Press, this individual will be a key member, responsible for providing assistance for all hands-on publicity and administrative support. The Publicists work on a wide variety of titles and imprints, and the position is a great opportunity for an organized, creative, and enthusiastic person interested in publishing. Specifically, this individual will provide assistance including but not limited to mailings and call-backs to the media for major titles.
- Facilitate the galley mailings and additional mailings for finished books
- Draft press releases and pitch materials for upcoming titles
- Assist in preparing tour schedules and major media campaigns
- Assist in drafting and coordinating schedules for author tours and continuously updating the extensive in-house media directory
- Ensure book projects are moving through the publicity process according to designated timelines
- Assist in media call-backs
- Provide administrative support as necessary
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Ability to multi-task while working in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Prior experience in book publishing a plus
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in a relevant subject area
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Nadea Mina at email@example.com.