A magazine that acts as a curator to family activities and family-focused lifestyles, Family Circle is an American decorating, cooking, and culture magazine. It publishes 15 editions a year on traditional home-oriented topics. Some of the article topics include supplying fast and easy recipes for family-sized meals and snacks, do-it-yourself tips for decorating, health tips and tricks, advice for family and child-raising, and tips for organization, saving money, and so on.
• A college degree, preferably in English, Journalism or Communications.
• Minimum of 10 years working at national consumer magazines.
• Minimum of 5 years managerial experience.
• Top-notch written and verbal skills a must. A keen eye for detail and strong proofreading and copy editing skills required.
• Must be proficient in Mac usage. Experience with both InCopy and Microsoft Word applications required. Experience with MAO and/or InDesign a huge plus.
• Must be able to multitask and deal with many different issues at once.
• Must be extremely deadline driven and able to foresee potential roadblocks to closing any given issue on time and figure out workarounds.
• Must have experience with book makeup and dealing and negotiating with advertising and ad ops departments.
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and be able to clearly communicate information about deadlines and procedures to the entire staff, all while maintaining morale.
• Has hands-on responsibility for all phases of production and copy flow.
• In charge of getting each issue to printer in a timely fashion.
• Troubleshoots problems with copy and art flow; make new procedures as needed.
• Proofreads all copy.
• Maintains relationship with production group in Des Moines
• Manages copy editor, research editor, editorial business analyst and production manager.
• Creates and maintains monthly editorial lineups and schedules while consulting with editorial, art, production and advertising departments.
• Manages editorial budget.
• Acts as main liaison with external Meredith departments, including the advertising, corporate marketing, legal, human resources, building services and more.
• Tackles internal personnel problems and special long-range projects as directed by Editor-in-Chief.
If you are interested in applying, click here.
Kneerim & Williams is a distinguished agency that has been in business since 1990. We handle the placement of American and foreign publication rights as well as film, television, audio, digital media, and merchandising rights for a wide range of clients, and we work closely with an intellectual property law firm, Sennott & Williams. Over the years, our agency’s client list has grown to include best-selling and prizewinning novelists, scholars, and journalists. In recent years, Kneerim & Williams authors have won the National Book Award, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Critics Circle Award, the PEN Malamud Award, the MacArthur Genius Award, and the George Washington Prize. We’re proud to represent outstanding and widely recognized writers in every category we handle. For further details on our clients, see our website at www.kwlit.com.
We believe in supporting the author’s whole career as a writer. Our agents work collaboratively, so every author gets the benefit of the whole team’s thinking in terms of publishing strategy. We enjoy a uniquely friendly and supportive office culture. Our team consists of three partners, three affiliated agents, two staff members, and three UK and foreign rights agents.
• At least two years of experience as a literary agent or acquiring editor.
• Ability to work independently yet be part of a team
• Ability to be proactive, self-motivated, and organized in finding and growing business
• Able to develop positive client and publishing industry relationships
• Able to see multiple projects at various stages of development through to completion.
• Build and manage your own client list by signing authors and developing their projects for submission
• Negotiate your authors’ deals and review publishing agreements
• Work with our UK rights agent, our foreign rights team, and our film & television department to sell clients’ subsidiary rights
if you are interested in applying please send a resume and brief cover letter to Katherine Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. All applications will be received in confidence.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Fodor’s, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
• Four year college degree in graphic design or equivalent
• 2+ years working in a production/design capacity• Expert knowledge of the Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and MS Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
• Prior work in web design/production and content management systems (experience with Word Press or other platforms a plus)
• Professional working experience with MacOS
• Impeccable file structure, management and archiving
• Meticulous, cooperative and detailed-oriented
• Must be highly organized and able to work efficiently on multiple projects to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to work with multiple teams simultaneously while maintaining consistency and quality across projects
• Ability to follow branding guidelines and specs
• Great communication skills
• Manage the design/production of multiple print/digital sales catalogs
• Produce monthly mass merch brochure for two sales divisions
• Create monthly digital signage
• Design and produce promotional print collateral for various sales divisions + corporate
• Design and produce print and online advertisements
• Sales website updates
• Implement automation processes in InDesign
• Implement editorial changes to content
if you are interested in applying please click here.
Rodale Inc. is an independent, healthy, happy living company based in Emmaus, Pennsylvania and New York, New York. Known for launching the organic movement in the U.S. in 1942, the company operates today with a mission to “inspire health, healing, happiness and love in the world. Starting with you.” Through a broad portfolio of best-in-class brands, Rodale reaches more than 100 million people globally through multiple distribution channels, including magazines, books, online, mobile, e-commerce, direct-to-consumer, social, and video. With 100 editions in 67 countries, Rodale publishes the largest, most established health and wellness lifestyle brands, including Men’s Health, Prevention, Women’s Health, Runner’s World, Bicycling, Rodale’s Organic Life, and through Rodale Events, LLC, which produces 25 branded events that draw more than 100,000 participants annually. A digital leader in the healthy living space with properties such as EatClean, a vertical for those looking to improve their health through clean eating; Zelle, a running site for women; and Rodale’s®, a healthy lifestyle e-tail store, the company continues to find new ways to connect with audiences across developing technologies. Rodale editors are fixtures on the national media circuit, appearing on television regularly as authorities on health and wellness.
• Have at least 10 years of magazine experience.
• Be highly proficient in Adobe InDesign and an expert in the entire Adobe Creative Suite
• Be well-versed in workflow management systems such as K4 or Woodwing
• Have top-notch organizational skills
• Possess the ability to liaise with multiple departments on a variety of projects at once
• Have a keen eye for consistency and quality, under a tight magazine deadline
• Experience working with Quad Graphics a plus, but not required
• The overall execution of the magazine’s editorial print production, including overseeing art production deadlines and the shipping and approval of final pages to pre-press and printer.
• Sets copy and layout deadlines, creates the daily shipping schedule, secures fractional ad adjacencies, prioritizes editors and traffics the day to day of two to three issues at once.
• Oversees the magazine’s imaging workflow by working with the Art and Photo departments to secure high-resolution art and traffic it’s progress through the color-correcting process, in addition to overseeing the work of the magazine’s Production Coordinator.
If you are interested in applying, click here.