Online Marketing Assistant – Consumer Marketing Development
The Penguin Random House Consumer Marketing Development team is seeking an Online Marketing Assistant. This position involves opportunities to work creatively with people across the company and industry, to produce online marketing campaigns, and to learn about all aspects of book publishing and online marketing.
The online marketing assistant is a key part of our friendly, collaborative, and innovative team. S/he will be responsible for assisting with ad trafficking as well as supporting the campaigns team.
Responsibilities and duties include:
•Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
The candidate would report to an Associate Director and Advertising Manager, and work very closely with an Online Marketing Associate. It’s a corporate position on a team that’s focused on providing best practices and guidance to our divisions–while there may be less direct title-marketing work involved, it’s a great way to understand PRH’s positioning about online and consumer marketing, learn what’s up and coming in tech, and meet many people across the company and industry.
If interested in applying, click here:
Indicate in your cover letter that you are a Pace MS in Publishing student.
Please contact Professor Jane Kinney-Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Sterling Publishing Co.
Location: New York, NY
Sterling Publishing Co., Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, is seeking a Editorial Assistant to work within its Acquisitions Editorial department. We are seeking a creative, innovative, and passionate, yet responsible risk taker who is looking to make an impact within the department as well as the organization. We require excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Supports editors with general editorial and design processes.
Reviews proposals/manuscripts from slush pile.
Assists with obtaining photo permissions for books as needed; prepares art logs and organizes digital & physical art files.
Prepares term sheets, estimate request forms and other forms as needed.
Tracks title stats.
Prepares pub board summaries and title information sheet with all details including comp research.
Processes book sample orders for the Editorial department.
Corresponds with agents and authors regarding the status of proposals, books in development, and previously published books; suggests ideas for further development of submitted projects; writes rejection letters.
Oversees the schedules and development of several books, including entire series; traffics materials between in-house editorial personnel, freelance editorial personnel/packagers, and authors; creates and references P&L forecasts to ensure that projects stay on budget.
Proofreads layouts, jacket copy, and catalog copy.
Liaises with the Marketing and Sales to supply dummies, covers, book descriptions etc. for meetings, fairs, etc; accesses Artesia database to supply layouts and covers for various editorial personnel.
Processes invoices, author advances, work-for-hire advances, and cancellations.
Acts as liaison between authors and publisher, networking with various departments to provide information on royalties, advances, invoices, reprint status, pub status, reversion status, publicity, permissions, corrections, and other pressing concerns.
4 year college degree or equivalent work experience.
Prior work experience within book publishing in an Editorial capacity or prior Editorial Internships.
Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Quark and Mac all preferred. Knowledge of Photoshop a plus.
Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Must be detail oriented, organized and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Proven ability to work within fast-paced deadline driven environment.
Portfolio, Current, and Sentinel with Penguin Random House
Title: Publicity Assistant
Location: New York, NY
Portfolio/Sentinel/Current is currently seeking a Publicity Assistant to support two publicists within the publicity and marketing department of a ten-person team. This is an excellent opportunity to work on high profile publicity and marketing campaigns and with bestselling authors!
At Portfolio and Current, we publish big ideas for ambitious people, usually in the following categories: leadership, psychology, business, economics, marketing, history, science, technology, autobiography, and investigative journalism. Sentinel is a boutique imprint that publishes platform-driven books for a politically conservative audience.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support (updating databases, drafting notes and emails, answering phones, scheduling meetings, booking author travel, etc.)
2. Assisting with writing press releases, preparing and mailing press kits, and coordinating author events and book signings.
3. Assisting with media research and pulling lists of contacts for mailings.
4. Contributing ideas for publishing campaigns as well as consumer-facing marketing activities.
Please apply to join this collaborative department if you meet the following requirements:
– 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
– Prior office experience; marketing or publicity internships a plus
– Strong interest in book publishing, especially non-fiction
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a deadline driven environment
– Strong organizational and follow-up skills
– Excellent attention to detail
– Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
– Knowledge of social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
|Salary for this position is $35,250. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com indicating the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls/agencies.|
Type: Freelance Contracter
Location: New York, NY
BEACH magazine, Modern Luxury’s summer Hamptons magazine published six times between Memorial Day and Labor Day by the editors of Manhattanmagazine, is seeking a freelance, contract Editorial Assistant for 4 months/18 weeks over the summer, beginning April 27. The position entails general editorial duties, including but not limited to story and photo research, fact checking, some writing, and the handling of several front of book editorial pages (table of contents, masthead, calendar) under the guidance of senior editors.
Qualified applicants must have a drive for magazine editorial work, a positive attitude, be resourceful and trustworthy, have proven writing experience, and be extremely organized. Numerous previous magazine internships or previous experience as an editorial assistant preferred.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three short writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org before April 15 to be considered.
Do you have an interest in design? Advertising? Promotions?
The Putnam, Riverhead, and Tarcher Advertising and Promotions department is looking for an enthusiastic, creative individual. This person will support the Associate Director in maintaining an organized and productive environment. This position is also responsible for designing various promotional materials.
Specifically, the Advertising and Promotions Assistant will:
- Work closely with the Ad/Promo Associate Director and design team to maintain organized and productive workflow.
- Work with manager and paperback team to coordinate, layout, and submit designed back ads for production.
- Design posters and blowups and coordinate printing, meeting all deadlines.
- Design print and online advertisements and promotional materials, including static and animated ads, printed postcards, bookmarks, and brochures for the Tarcher imprint.
- Route catalog copy for the Riverhead, Putnam, Tarcher, and Audio imprints during catalog season.
- Design images for social media for all imprints.
- Update department status report, including keeping track of all requests from publicity, sales, marketing and working with manager and designers to deliver on time.
- Organize presentation run-throughs, booking rooms and contacting attendees for scheduling.
- Maintain the advertising archive, filing ads and promotional items.
- Set up promo item ISBNs in Firebrand.
- Create visual presentations using InDesign and PowerPoint.
- Provide administrative support when needed.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Four year college degree in graphic design or communications design or equivalent work experience
- Highly proficient in Photoshop and InDesign
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, strong attention to detail; able to turn projects around quickly and multitask
- Strong interest in book publishing and promotional design
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of Illustrator
- Strong interest in advertising and promotions
The salary for this position is $35,250. Full-time employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits package. To apply, submit your portfolio, resume, and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls/agencies please.
Type: Full Time
Position: Junior Designer
Description: Condé Nast’s magazine Brides is looking for a creative designer that can develop and deliver ideas for their clients. Design and typography skills are necessary because you will be regularly designing presentations and proposals, as well as working with the executive team, sales, marketing, research, and integrated marketing. Brides is looking for someone who is motivated by new thinking and who is also a team player.
- At least 1 year of design experience in marketing, promotional, or advertising a plus
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail
- Strong proficiency with presentation & design applications (Keynote, PowerPoint, Photoshop, InDesign, & Illustrator)
- Experience using motion graphics & video editing software (After Effects, Final Cut Pro, & Motion) a plus
- Knowledge of Flash, web design, or HTML a plus
- Ability to create promotional concepts that enhance clients’ marketing efforts
- Experience working for a highly branded property a plus
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) with the aptitude to communicate effectively in both individual and group settings
- Must be results driven, and take appropriate steps to achieve goals while taking ownership of situations as needed
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through
- Drives change and innovation by improving work product or process, and challenges established norms where appropriate
- Proven ability to build supportive and constructive relationships within and outside of the organization
Type: Full Time
Position: Assistant Editor
Location: Henderson, NV
Niche Media is looking for a driven Assistant Editor to join our high-performing Vegas magazine team. The primary duties for this position include the following:
- Conceive and pitch stories for each issue and newsletter, then assist with executing and producing assigned stories and sections.
- Write several stories, complete designated online calendar listings, and produce magazine-ready copy within established deadlines.
- Plan, execute, fact-check, and write Invited section (social events).
- Work with the marketing department to oversee photo section, and ensure all assigned sections are edit-ready for ship week.
- Work with photo editors to select art, assist with managing photo shoots, gather photos for Guide pages, and make sure art comes in for each piece/section assigned to the Editor-in-Chief. Coordinate/schedule freelance photographers for events.
- Coordinate intern process and work with interns to manage social media duties (i.e. Twitter account).
- Represent the magazine in the community by attending/hosting events on behalf of assigned magazine.
- Meet with local power players to boost magazine presence, as necessary and appropriate.
- Perform editorial-related clerical/administrative duties for the Editor-in-Chief.
- Other duties as assigned.
LinkIt, an education software company, currently has two full-time temp positions available for a minimum of two to four weeks that they need to fill ASAP. The temp positions pay $10 an hour and is 40 hours per week.
The position would entail copying test content from source documents (Word or PDF) and pasting it into their software’s test area and making sure it’s properly formatted so that the test can either be taken online, on an iPad, or printed as a PDF. It may also include some printing and binding. Knowledge of InDesign is a plus.
LinkIt is located on 14th street and 5th ave and those hired would need to bring their own laptop.
You can send your resume to Michael McGill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manuscripts & Online Content Development:
- Prepare manuscript files for review, revision, and launch
- Maintain database of contributors in conjunction with general editors
- Serve as liaison with authors, editors, and in-house staff
- Work with Development Editors in reviewing manuscripts and assisting in development, editing, and updating of print and online content
- Review images, request permissions, maintain log, and prepare image/map program for submission to production and for online purposes
- Assist editors in developing and repurposing content for online products
- Assist editors in electronic publication program management
- Prepare and send contracts, letters, manuscript-preparation guidelines, author questionnaires, and computer information
- Maintain correspondence with authors and field inquiries
- Assign ISBNs, and create Contract Data Sheet for distribution to various departments
- Maintain correspondence with prospective editors and authors
- Enter proposal and contract information into STAR database
- Conduct market research for new ideas and products
- Perform various administrative duties as necessary (check requests, correspondence, tracking royalty advances, CIP applications, comp copies, budget sheets, etc.)
- Assist editors and director of new program development, as requested
The Susan Golomb Literary Agency, a premier boutique literary agency, seeks an assistant with 1-3 years publishing experience. The candidate should be a motivated, extremely well-organized, and detail-oriented self-starter and have excellent writing and computer skills. Editorial or agency experience critically evaluating fiction and non-fiction work is necessary, as well as a love of books and a strong interest in the publishing business.
The Susan Golomb Literary Agency represents clients which include National Book Award winners, Jonathan Franzen and William T. Vollmann, as well as several New York Times and national bestselling authors, including Tom Rachman, Rachel Kushner, and Harry S. Dent. SGLA’s list includes literary and up-market commercial fiction, narrative nonfiction, memoir, business, current events, and select prescriptive.
Duties include clerical work (i.e. answering the phone, filing, sorting mail), editing, drafting correspondence, reading submissions from potential clients, writing reader’s reports, research, and comprehensive office administration.
This is an excellent opportunity, with growth potential, to learn about all aspects of publishing (how books are discovered, polished, sold, and brought to market).
Hearst Magazines has an opening in their production department! They are looking for someone with 2+ years of related print production experience, including knowledge of web offset and rotogravure printing processes and virtual proofing. Applicants must work well with others in a collaborative effort to ensure that Hearst quality standards are understood by all.
Main responsibilities include:
- Communicate information clearly between magazine, management, printers, and ad agency production departments
- Investigate, identify, and resolve advertising and editorial inquiries and quality complaints
- On-site press checks at various printers whenever needed
- Some air travel required; valid driver’s license helpful
- Review and evaluate loose signatures for acceptable printing quality and color
- Post-production quality reviews with magazine staff
- Maintain and calibrate in-house high quality inkjet cover proofers
- Organize meetings, maintain quality review records, and print production sample files
- Review and evaluate potential problems with advertisers’ files for Ad Production staff
- Deliver editorial cover instructions to appropriate printers, and participate in pre-production cover reviews
- MAC, Microsoft Word, Excel
- Some familiarity with Impoze/Publisher’s Studio, In Design, Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with SWOP and color theory
Please visit Hearst’s website to apply for this position!
As a member of the publishing operations team at Open Road Integrated Media, the ebook production associate oversees ePUB and Kindle (mobi) file development. Output includes standard (reflowable) formats, fixed layout formats, read-along audio, and/or other embedded media (video, etc.).
Additional responsibilities include optimizing InDesign files for output to ePUB, implementing updates to existing ebook files (i.e., swapping in new covers, inserting back ads, making corrections), outputting PDFs from ePUB, linking and bookmarking PDFs for distribution to retail partners, and following up on retailer ingestion issues. Finally, the ebook production associate will keep abreast of developments in digital publishing and communicate these to the publishing operations team at weekly meetings.
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize workflow
- Familiarity with file specifications for various retailers
- Minimum two-years experience hand-coding standards-compliant ebooks
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Nicole Passage, Associate Managing Editor, at email@example.com. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholastic is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books. With more than 90 years in children’s publishing, Scholastic’s philosophy remains: every child deserves the opportunity to learn to read and develop a love of reading for a lifetime. They believe that literacy – the ability to read, write, and understand – is the birthright of every child in the world, as well as the pathway to succeed in school and realize a complete life.
Scholastic’s Summer Internship Program provides an opportunity to gain experience in a variety of Scholastic businesses. The application deadline is swiftly approaching! It is Friday, March 30, 2012. The program will run for 8 weeks beginning Monday, June 18 through Friday, August 10, 2012, and interns are paid $12.00 per hour and work a 35-hour week.
- All students must be in good academic standing and have strong computer skills, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Be able to work 35 hours per week
Selection of Interns:
- Interns are selected on the basis of their academic standing, participation in extracurricular activities, and previous work and/or internship experience
- Interns may be interviewed by telephone or at a Scholastic office. References may be requested
How To Apply:
To apply for this position, students must do two things: First, please e-mail Professor Denning, at email@example.com, a copy of your resume and cover letter so that she can pass it along directly to Scholastic’s HR Manager.
In addition, students must apply through the Scholastic website. Scholastic is currently accepting online applications for the summer program through Friday, March, 30, 2012. Apply to the internship program by clicking on the business area you’re interested in from the list below. With your application, you will need to provide:
- A cover letter that should including the following:
– Your School’s Name
– Your Major/Degree
– Your Graduation Date
– An explanation of how your participation in Scholastic’s Summer Internship Program fits with your academic and/or career goals
- Your current resume (Word or PDF)
Each link below takes you to the appropriate requisition in the Scholastic Career Center. Once there, please create your profile, and include your cover letter and attachments.