Editorial Freelancer – Bloomsbury Publishing
Type: Part-time, $12 hourly
Bloomsbury Publishing is seeking an editorial freelancer to help with adult special interest books, which cover a range of specialized topics within the nautical, sports, and natural history subject areas.
Primarily, you will create copy and sales materials for special interest titles, manage the data for these titles in our system, and liaise with our UK colleagues in these efforts. You may be asked occasionally to help with administrative editorial duties, but that will account for no more 10% of your time. You’ll be invited to read and provide feedback on submissions, and to attend editorial meetings.
This is a part time, contract position of 30-35 hours/week. The pay is $12/hour. We do not expect freelancers to stay in this position for long, but it’s a great way to build your resume and make a little money while you’re searching for full time, salaried work.
We are looking for candidates with strong writing and grammar skills, knowledge of the marketplace, a keen eye for detail, and the ability to work efficiently and independently.
|Please e-mail a short cover letter and a resume (with references) to Lea Beresford at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Adult Editorial Freelancer.” While we appreciate every application we receive, we will only contact individuals we are considering for the position.
Editorial Assistant – Viking
Location: New York, NY
We have an exciting job opening as an Editorial Assistant at Penguin Random House in our Viking imprint! Reporting directly to the President and Publisher, the Assistant will have the opportunity to learn about the inner workings of Viking Editorial. Viking has a rich history of both fiction and non-fiction, and is home to incredible authors including: Geraldine Brooks, Lynne Chenney, Lev Grossman, Deborah Harkness, Sue Monk Kidd, Terry McMillan, Nathanial Philbrick, and many more.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Providing administrative support to the supervisor, such as answering the phone, scheduling appointments, filing, handling mail, making copies, etc.
2. Assisting in writing and routing copy.
3. Preparing paperwork for the team, including contract information sheets, profit and loss statements, estimate requests, manuscript acceptances, and transmittal memos.
4. Assisting the supervisor in the acquisitions process, which includes logging submissions, reading and evaluating manuscripts and proposals, writing rejection letters, and researching for ideas.
5. Tracking book projects from acquisition to publication by coordinating schedules with Editorial, Managing Editorial, and Production.
6. Acting as an in-house liaison amongst the Editorial, Production, Design, Managing Editorial, Sales, Marketing, and Publicity departments.
7. Liaising with authors and agents in all phases of process, from acquisition to the publication date.
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Prior office experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and excel in a deadline-driven and detail-oriented environment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Interest in fiction and nonfiction books
- Previous publishing experience preferred
- Previous experience as an Editorial Assistant or Editorial Intern is a plus.
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your resume and cover letter.
Salary for this position is $35,250. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Literary Assistant – Trident Media Group
Location: New York, NY
Leading New York literary agent and CEO of prominent literary agency seeks full time assistant. Applicant should be interested in working on a broad range of books from commercial non-fiction, fiction, and memoir.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
– Answering and placing telephone calls
– Keeping detailed schedules and up-to-date records of all projects
– Corresponding with clients, publishers, and managers via email and phone
– Generating expense reports
– Coordinating travel itineraries
– Maintaining agent’s calendar
– Tracking and processing payments
– Tracking contracts through their various stages
– Preparing submission packets
– Reading queries and evaluating manuscripts
– Keeping up to date with pop culture via internet, etc.
– Coordinating meetings
– Updating the company’s website
– Helping in the HR department upon request
*** Additional job responsibilities may be assigned
– Bachelor’s degree
– 1-2 years experience at an agency or book publishing a PLUS
– Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
– Superior organizational skills and very detail-oriented
– Discretion, tact, and professionalism
– Ability to communicate with various personalities
– Avid reader
– Knowledge of BAITS software a PLUS
Apply online at Mediabistro.