Penguin Group- Putnam
Title: Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor
• 4 year college degree or equivalent experience
• Minimum 2 years trade editorial experience for the Assistant Editor level
• Excellent organizational skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
• Interest in fiction and nonfiction
• Interest in commercial fiction (especially thrillers, mysteries, suspense) a plus
• Ability to learn and adapt new systems a plus
The Putnam imprint is hiring an Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor to work with a Vice President, Executive Editor and an Executive Editor. Learn about the overall editorial process, including how to evaluate manuscripts, writing copy, monitoring production schedules, processing contracts and payments, tracking and researching sales information, and maintaining relationships with authors and agents. The Editorial Assistant/Assistant Editor will also provide administrative support including answers phones, helps with editor’s schedule, keeps track of projects’ due dates, and liaise internally with departments including marketing, publicity, sales, and managing editorial.
Putnam is home to best-selling authors Tom Clancy, Robin Cook, Catherine Coulter, Robert Crais, Clive Cussler, Frederick Forsyth, Sue Grafton, W.E.B. Griffin, Robert B. Parker, Jan Karon, Ridley Pearson, Amanda Quick, J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts, John Sandford, and Stuart Woods. Its roster of nonfiction authors includes Maureen Dowd, Goldie Hawn, Morrissey, Betty White, and many more!
Please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirement to email@example.com indicating the position for which you are applying in the subject line. No phone calls/agencies. [Job #11155].
Title: Assistant to Marketing and Editorial
Location: New York, NY
The ideal candidate will be highly organized and detailed-oriented, have a knowledge of and instinct for the book market, possess excellent writing and careful proofreading skills, be a fast-learner and self-starter, and be able to manage a varied workload with energy, enthusiasm and thoroughness. A four-year college degree is required; an internship and/or one to two years’ experience in publishing is a plus.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, required; InDesign and/or QuarkXpress a plus.
The Overlook Press, a medium-sized, independent, Soho-based publisher with a broad list of titles, has an opening for an Assistant to Marketing and Editorial to join our team.
The Assistant to Marketing and Editorial is responsible for a variety of tasks, including editorial and administrative support, reading and reporting on submissions, writing and proofing catalog, flap and ad copy, handling permissions and being the primary contact for foreign and domestic rights, and assisting with title data management and the ebook program. This position liaises with all of the company’s departments and provides an excellent overview of the publishing process.
Email cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Travel Age West
Title: Assistant Editor
Location: Los Angeles
• 1-3 years of experience in magazine, newspaper or online editorial.
• Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently, or as part of a team.
• Must possess excellent editing skills. Knowledge of AP Style and solid experience in copy editing and line editing needed.
• Must have ability to work well under pressure and meet aggressive deadlines.
• Must possess excellent organizational, management, interpersonal and professional skills.
• Must be very detail-oriented.
• Must be proficient in the use of InCopy, InDesign, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office.
• Experience with e-newsletters and social media preferred.
• Knowledge of content management systems, search engine optimization and multimedia journalism (photography and video) a plus.
• Must have a passion for the business and have a willingness to learn and accept new challenges.
TravelAge West is seeking an Assistant Editor who is passionate about journalism and experienced with copy-editing, line editing and writing to join our Los Angeles, CA team. This entry level Assistant Editor will gain experience in many areas of publishing so an interest in learning and growing as an editor is essential. S/he will write and edit destination stories and other sections for all print issues and print supplements as needed; write, edit and manage content for specific e-newsletters; write, edit and post online content as needed; and contribute to special projects, including but not limited to, awards programs, live events and social media. The Assistant Editor will support the Editor-in-Chief with editorial duties.
• Fact-checks and edits stories for departments and destination sections as assigned.
• Manages sections as assigned in the bi-weekly publication and various supplements including Family Getaways and Explorer.
• Writes and edits content on TravelAgeWest.com, which includes writing and assigning stories, editing stories, resizing photos and posting articles and blogs.
• Manages the writing, editing and posting of content for some e-newsletters.
• Works with art department to find photos for the assigned sections and resizes photos as needed.
• Learns about travel industry and develops relationships.
• Backs up Editor-in-Chief on special projects as needed.
• Represents TravelAge West at industry events and on press trips.
(Need a Mediabistro account to apply) Login and apply here.