Production Editor, Council on Foreign Relations
Founded in 1921, the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) is a leading nonprofit membership organization, research center, and publisher, with headquarters in New York, offices in Washington, DC, and programs nationwide. It is dedicated to increasing America’s understanding of the world and contributing ideas to U.S. foreign policy. CFR’s 4000+ members are leaders in international affairs and foreign policy. CFR also publishes Foreign Affairs, the preeminent journal on global issues, and provides up-to-date information about the world and U.S. foreign policy on CFR’s award winning website, CFR.org. Excellent benefits package includes an on-site fitness center, tuition reimbursement, generous health insurance and leave benefits, and the opportunity to attend Council-sponsored meetings.
The Publishing department, part of the David Rockefeller Studies Program, is responsible for editing and producing CFR’s print and online publications and for ensuring editorial consistency across CFR, its promotional materials, and its website. The production editor will work closely with the editorial director, associate editor, the Director of Studies office, fellows and research associates, and program staff across the organization.
The principal responsibilities of this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating the editing, proofreading, production, printing, and mailing of all CFR reports, including trafficking manuscripts between authors, editors, designers, and printers;
- Building webpages and maintaining the Publications section of the website, including posting video links, reviews, and other relevant materials on existing webpages;
- Ensuring editorial consistency across the website and in CFR’s print and promotional materials, including the member newsletter, brochures, flyers, and advertisements;
- Serving as a resource for all CFR staff on editing, grammar, and publishing questions;
- Creating and updating departmental marketing materials and working with the editorial director on the overall marketing strategy for CFR publications;
- Supervising research associates working on a publication; and
- Managing the department’s intern.
- Degree in English, writing, or related subject
- Previous editorial/production experience in a fast-paced environment; four years or more in trade, academic, or nonprofit publishing preferred
- Outstanding spelling and grammar skills and knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to handle deadlines
- Ability to learn quickly (namely new technology) and strong interest in the evolving publishing landscape
- Proven supervisory skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat; knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop helpful
- Experience working with a content management system and HTML useful
Contact Info, How to Apply:
Council on Foreign Relations
Human Resources Office
58 E. 68th St., New York, NY 10065
FAX: (212) 434-9893
Qualified candidates should email, fax, or mail a resume and cover letter to the human resources department. PLEASE INCLUDE THE POSITION NAME IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR EMAIL.This job was originally posted on Idealist.org
Online Editor, Grace Communications Foundation
Grace Communications Foundation is looking for an exceptional writer for The Monday Campaigns’ public health initiatives that seek to promote Monday as the day to focus on our health. The first initiative, Meatless Monday, is now a rapidly growing global movement which can be found in 23 countries and has the support of celebrities, media, schools, restaurants and whole communities.
The Online Editor and Writer will have a solid track record of success and will work with the Senior Communications Director on researching and identifying weekly content for websites, collateral and general writing as needed. The writer will also collaborate with a creative team with skills in art direction, social media and video production. This function includes a variety of writing styles and skills including article writing, and copywriting for brochures, ads and promotions to be adapted for social media channels.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Writing weekly content for Meatless Monday, The Monday Campaigns, The Kids Cook Monday and other websites as developed. This includes tracking the latest activity across campaigns to identify story ideas, researching articles and conducting interviews as needed. The person will also develop “evergreen” articles to have on hand that can be used in slow news weeks.
- Developing and maintaining monthly and quarterly editorial calendar to leverage season/events that can guide stories.
- Updating content and functionality on all websites. This includes ensuring that latest resources are featured on the site and that all site links and functions are working.
- Working with academic partners to ensure that all content on online and print materials is scientifically accurate. The person will stay up to date on the latest research related to our initiatives and proactively reach out to academic partners to coordinate any updates needed.
- Developing new/upgraded websites and to develop new content ideas and site enhancements on an ongoing basis.
- Working with creative team to develop campaign concepts and creative executions including brochures, posters and toolkits.
- Other writing as needed including newsletters, press releases and customized handouts.
- BA required with minimum 3 years experience or demonstrated ability to write copy in a variety of formats as described above.
- Basic understanding of HTML and CSS. Knowledge of WordPress a plus
- Experience or knowledge of health issues a plus.
- Must be flexible in responding to shifting priorities and able to deliver quality work with tight deadlines.
How to Apply:
All candidates, regardless of race, gender, age, or sexual orientation are encouraged to apply. This is an immediate hire. Interested candidates should send a résumé, brief cover note telling us what ideas/experience/skills you can bring to the team and two writing samples. Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org. This job was originally posted on Idealist.org