Editorial Assistant – Portfolio/Sentinel/Current
Location: New York, NY
Join the Editorial team at Penguin Random House! We are seeking a proactive Editorial Assistant to work in our Portfolio, Sentinel, and Current imprints. Reporting to two editors, the Editorial Assistant will provide administrative support, read and evaluate submissions, and oversee the entire editorial process. This job opening is an exciting opportunity to learn about the editorial process for a diverse set of nonfiction titles!
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Assisting the editorial staff with various day-to-day tasks, such as logging book proposal submissions, drafting contract requests, and tracking payments and invoices.
2. Evaluating manuscripts and writing reader?s reports for any promising submissions.
3. Providing editorial backup by offering editorial feedback, liaising with authors, etc.
4. Liaising with the Production department and ensuring their deadlines are met.
5. Writing flap copy, title information sheets, and catalog copy.
6. Providing administrative support for two editors, such as scheduling meetings, booking conference rooms, making copies, filing, etc.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team
- Strong ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Prior experience with project management
- Outstanding ability to think creatively and critically
- High attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word
- Interest in working with nonfiction books
Please apply using our online application process (here), and please include your resume and cover letter.
Digital Media Editorial Assistant – Astrology & Geology at W. W. Norton
Location: New York, NY
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the digital media editor for college astronomy and geology courses.
Essential job responsibilities:
• Management of manuscripts in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Setting and adhering to schedules. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production.
• Telephone and message management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
• Document management – Faxing, copying, printing, emailing. Organizing and maintaining files.
• Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
• Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
• Project management – Collaborating with and providing support to media editorial team to move numerous different projects forward in order to meet publishing deadlines.
• Market research – Assisting media editor with research on market trends in online learning.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
• Must be able to work full business hours in our NYC location.
• Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
• Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
• Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
• Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
• Must be self-directed and independent.
• Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects.
• Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
• Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to education and/or learning.
• Must have strong research skills.
• Must have a passion for learning new software programs.
• Subject matter expertise is not required, but applicants should note whether they have taken any college-level chemistry or astronomy courses.
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs. Proficiency with both Windows and Mac OS. Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
• Mastery of email, calendar management, and file management tools.
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a copy of their resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE BE SURE TO INDICATE WHICH POSITION YOU ARE APPLYING FOR IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
Publicity Assistant – Simon & Schuster
Location: New York, NY
The Simon & Schuster imprint is seeking a Publicity Assistant or Associate Publicist to work closely with an Associate Director and a Senior Publicist in a very active publicity department with a dynamic publishing program. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn all aspects of the book publishing process and work on commercial fiction and non-fiction titles.
Responsibilities include administrative duties, as well as involvement in all aspects of publicity campaigns including: Creating press materials; booking tours; and pitching media
· Must be organized and have excellent phone and computer skills. Strong written communication is important as well as the ability to multi-task and be flexible.
· Previous PR assistantship or internship with a literary agency or book publishing house is preferred. Minimum Education Level Bachelor’s Degree.
Apply online here.