Springer Publishing Company seeks an intern to work part-time (two days per week) through the spring semester (January-May) in their fast-paced marketing department. They are an independent academic publisher with a growing books and journals publishing program. A monthly stipend will be paid to the qualifying intern.
Duties will include:
- Post and monitor Springer Publishing Company on Facebook and Twitter, and research expanding followers across all social media platforms
- Fulfill review copy requests, enter reviews into the database, and research potential new publicity outlets
- Create and edit marketing materials for sponsorships and exhibitions
- Draft, review, and post blog entries
- Aid in customer prospect list-building
- Revise and refine website copy
- General office assistance
- Current college student or recent graduate
- Self-starter with creativity and attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a team-player who can work with others
- A strong interest in marketing
- Good computer skills, including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- The ideal candidate will be smart, versatile, and comfortable in a fairly fluid role
If interested, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to Chris Hardin, Marketing Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 23rd. Please copy (CC) Professor Denning at email@example.com.
Psychology Today has an excellent opportunity for a smart and talented advertising intern to learn how the business side of a media company works at their New York office. They have a small staff, so you’ll be a key member of the team. Duties include working closely with the Associate Publisher, advertising staff, and art department on sales and marketing projects, and assisting the production department with print and online advertising preparation, as well as developing marketing materials.
Outstanding professionalism and organizational skills are a requirement; you must be able to juggle several tasks at once and work autonomously. Graphic design skills and prior experience in Photoshop and InDesign are necessary.
Projects will include working closely with clients to design their ads for the magazine, model casting and art directing photo-shoots for advertorials, and helping design print specials that will be bound into the magazine. You will also help create and design promotional materials and client presentations for both the magazine and website.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in publishing, advertising, and graphic design. Position will require a commitment of three or more days a week (full-time preferred) and includes a small daily stipend.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and two business or marketing related writing samples to John Thomas, Associate Publisher, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please copy Professor Jane Denning at email@example.com.
Encounter Books is an activity of Encounter for Culture and Education, a tax exempt, non-profit corporation dedicated to strengthening the marketplace of ideas and engaging in educational activities to help preserve democratic culture.
Currently, Encounter Books is seeking a Production Manager who will work closely with their senior staff and will assist in all aspects of production. They are looking for someone who can multitask well and learn quickly. The ideal candidate will be capable of working in a team and independently, have very strong editorial and organizational abilities, and an interest in book publishing with a focus on production. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred. A basic knowledge of Photoshop and InDesign is a definite plus.
- Communicating with authors, editors, and designers (passing along deadlines and following up)
- Assigning ISBNs and generating barcodes
- Registering books with the Library of Congress
- Maintaining an online database with title information and updating all book data for distribution
- Compiling sales reports and low-stock reports
- Monitoring inventory levels and assisting with reprints
- Maintaining ebook data and routing files for ebook conversion
The Production Manager will learn and be responsible for managing details of the entire scope of book production, from an author’s idea, to a completed manuscript, to publication and shipping of the final product. Encounter Books is looking for someone who can work full-time in their Manhattan office above Union Square. They will give preference to those who can start as soon as possible. Successful candidates will gain an understanding of the entire process of publishing. Encounter Books has a strong nonfiction list, and they are growing.
If interested, please send Word documents of your resume and cover letter to Heather Ohle, Director of Production, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Routledge/Taylor & Francis Group is looking for a temporary part-time Editorial Assistant to work on their growing list of titles in sociology. Reporting to the Publisher and Assistant Editor, the assistant will provide support in all phases of the book publication process, from the conceptual stage through publication. Specific responsibilities may include writing and editing jacket copy, soliciting project reviews, obtaining endorsements, and preparing books for production. The schedule can be flexible, but they are looking for someone who can commit to 2 days a week for at least 4-6 months.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Leah Babb-Rosenfeld at Leah.Babb-Rosenfeld@taylorandfrancis.com.
St. Martin’s Press is looking to hire a Publicity Assistant. This is a full-time paid position in the Publicity Department.
Reporting to a Senior Publicist for St. Martin’s Press, this individual will be a key member, responsible for providing assistance for all hands-on publicity and administrative support. The Publicists work on a wide variety of titles and imprints, and the position is a great opportunity for an organized, creative, and enthusiastic person interested in publishing. Specifically, this individual will provide assistance including but not limited to mailings and call-backs to the media for major titles.
- Facilitate the galley mailings and additional mailings for finished books
- Draft press releases and pitch materials for upcoming titles
- Assist in preparing tour schedules and major media campaigns
- Assist in drafting and coordinating schedules for author tours and continuously updating the extensive in-house media directory
- Ensure book projects are moving through the publicity process according to designated timelines
- Assist in media call-backs
- Provide administrative support as necessary
Required Skills / Knowledge:
- Ability to multi-task while working in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional organizational skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong work ethic
- Prior experience in book publishing a plus
Educational Background Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in a relevant subject area
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your resume to Nadea Mina at email@example.com.