Pace University has an outstanding reputation for offering a wide variety of resources to students, especially our Career Services center. Career Services is committed to working with Pace’s undergraduate, graduate students and alumni find internships, leadership and employment opportunities. Individual counseling, seminars, career development workshops, and career fairs are held throughout the semester to guide students as they embark upon their internship and job searches and plan their professional futures. Be sure to visit the Career Services website for additional information.
By registering for the Career Services Internship Program, students can apply for over 3,000 full-time and internship positions that are posted annually. To order to be approved for the program, students need to complete the following three steps:
1) Complete the online orientation workshop.
2) Attend an Interview workshop (Winter & Spring Dates TBD).
3) Have their resume reviewed and approved by their Career Counselor.
View this Career Services site for additional program details.
Below is a sampling of positions currently posted on the Career Services Database that MS in Publishing students might be interested in. Below are the details for each position:
1. Publisher’s Weekly
Job Title: Spring 2013 Publishing Internship
Description: Publishers Weekly’s Book Review Department is looking for 2 to 3 interns for the Spring semester. The positions are part-time and unpaid, but if you love books and are considering a career in book or magazine publishing, Publishers Weekly’s Book Review department is the best place to learn about these rapidly changing industries.
Interns will have the opportunity to:
• Work closely with review editors
• Write, fact-check, and edit reviews and short author interviews
Interns will also help staff our very busy bookroom, which receives hundreds of books a week. Your job will include:
• Unpacking books and trafficking them to editors and reviewers, and helping maintain a log of assignments
• Doing liaison work with publishers (requesting review copies, art, etc.)
• Learn tasks quickly
• Be organized and detail-oriented
• Follow through and meet tight deadlines
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to HR Manager via eRecruiting by Friday, 12/21.
2. Wenner Media LLC
Job Title: Winter/Spring 2013 Men’s Journal Editorial Intern
Job Description: As a national Men’s magazine, we cover a variety of lifestyle topics including health and fitness, while emphasizing and encouraging our readers to live the interesting life. Men’s Journal Editorial Interns take part in the creation of each issue by working closely with one editor on one specific section of the magazine while participating in the more general tasks shared by all interns, such as transcribing interviews and researching potential profile subjects for the magazine.
While the range of responsibilities and level of challenge depend largely on initiative and self-motivation, all interns are welcome to suggest ideas and generate material for any section of the magazine. Interns do many of the same tasks as an entry-level full time employee, gaining real-world experience in various editorial procedures.
- Shadow Editors, become their go-to for help with overload
- Flag & send issues to publicists, mail complimentary issues
- Transcribe interview audio
- Update national events calendar as resource
- Find specific press contacts for various gear, food & beverage products
- Follow medical studies and health trends of significant importance for possible story ideas
- Assist in fact-checking and conduct various research projects
- Attend weekly editorial meetings
- Assist with travel and entertainment reports for writer’s reimbursement
- Engage in meaningful dialogue with staff
Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Marielle Anas via eRecruiting by Friday, 12/21.
3. Haymarket Media Inc.
Job Title: Editorial Intern
Description: Job Duration-One semester, Pay-Unpaid and for college credit
Job Requirements or Qualifications:
Join the dynamic team at Direct Marketing News, a top business publication serving the today’s fast-changing marketing industry. The full-service brand, which provides print and digital editorial content, is seeking an editorial intern in its New York office. The position reports to the Editor-in-Chief.
Candidates should have or be:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Confident, adaptable, and responsive
- Highly organized and able to multitask effectively
- Superb follow through–completing tasks efficiently and on deadline.
The person we are seeking will be enterprising, fearless, and dogged in pitching, reporting, and writing compelling articles about direct marketing news and trends. This includes topics like social media marketing, mobile marketing strategies, and customer engagement.
- Writing daily news stories for its website and analysis articles for the monthly print publication
- Providing editorial support in terms of research, proofreading, and the like.
Interested students should send a resume, unofficial transcript and a cover letter about why they would be the best person for the position to: Ginger Conlon, Editor-in-Chief, via eRecruiting.
Haymarket has its heart and soul in publishing and media.
Since the company was founded half a century ago, Haymarket has always prided itself on being a highly creative business, with an unrelenting focus on the quality of the products and the people. The philosophy has always been quite simple: only by having the highest quality individuals can you produce the highest quality products, combining the best in content, design, production and customer services.
Globalization is opening up the world further and provides many opportunities for growth. Haymarket has offices around the world and many of the titles are now truly global brands. Haymarket serves a broad spread of markets, from sport to medicine, from technology to town planning. Haymarket is in consumer, business and customer media, along with exhibitions and live events. Predicting the shape of the business in 3, 5, or 10 years is almost impossible; and the unpredictability is part of the appeal.
Haymarket aims to be the perfect company to work with or for – they have the processes and attitude that ensure quality and consistency, and an entrepreneurial spirit that makes every day rewarding.In the US, we have 5 offices and over 250 employees.
If you would like to interview for an internship position, submit your resume and a writing sample (a class paper is fine) via eRecruiting.
To schedule and appointment with a Career Services Counselor, contact Mr. Justin Krass at (212)-346-1950 or email@example.com.