New York, NY
Seeking Literary Agency Intern
DeFiore and Company is a mid-sized dynamic literary agency based in Manhattan’s Union Square. Our staff brings decades of experience as agents, and as former editors, publishers, and rights directors at major publishing companies, to the task of building the careers of our clients.
• Candidates should be motivated, well-organized, responsible, and have excellent communication skills
• Some experience critically evaluating fiction and non-fiction work is necessary
• A love of books, an extensive knowledge of current titles and a strong interest in the publishing business
• Interns should be willing to commit 15-20 hours per week for a minimum of three months
• Reading and responding to queries and manuscripts
• Writing reader reports
• Filing, sorting mail, and basic office support
Two candidates will selected for the fall internship. if you would like to apply, please email with a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org at Ashley Collom’s attention. Please be sure to include ‘resume’ in the subject line. Please be aware that the internship is for-credit only.
New York, NY
Seeking Content Assistant Intern
Launched in February 2015, Radish is Netflix for serials where readers can enjoy premium serialized stories based on bite-sized episodes suitable for 10 minutes on a smartphone. It is a digital update of the Victorian idea of the serialized novel. After 3 free chapters, mobile micro-payments provide access to ensuing episodes so that audiences may secure instant gratification after a cliffhanger ending.
• Attention to detail
• Organizational skills
• A collaborative work ethic
• Keen interest and knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Curiosity, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn
• Experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
• Reviewing writer submissions
• Assisting writers and publishers in uploading their backlist titles and original serials on Radish writer’s web
• Selecting backlist titles appropriate for uploading on the platform
• Selecting stories from the platform for frontpage curation and coming up with curation ideas
• Assisting with editorial and marketing scheduling
• Creating content marketing blog posts
• Assist with contracts, royalty statements, and author correspondence as needed.
• Processing author applications through Submittable by evaluating manuscripts, writing samples, and online serials on Wattpad
• Answering author and reader questions via Groove
• Reviewing reader reports and coming up with product and policy ideas to solve those concerns
• Drafting concise language for FAQ, email templates, and customer service descriptions on platform
• Tracking the progress of authors on the platform and inputting related data into Excel
• Analyzing data and author feedback to take note of what best contributes to an author’s success, and relaying those tips through email correspondence
If you are interested in this position, feel free to apply via LinkedIn.
Seeking Full-Time Journals Marketing Assistant
Founded in 1994, Berghahn Books is an independent publisher of distinguished scholarly books and journals in the humanities and social sciences. Its program, which includes close to 40 journals and over 100 new titles a year, spans Anthropology, Migration & Refugee Studies, Geography, History, and Film Studies.
• Responsible and detail-oriented person who can handle multiple tasks in a small-firm environment with minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills and a command of English grammar and spelling
• Proficiency in Word processing applications are vital
• Knowledge of Constant Contact and Filemaker Pro
• Basic desktop publishing skills, such as familiarity with InDesign
• Background in book/journal publishing or academia is ideal
• Assisting in the execution of marketing plans and the monitoring of results
• Providing research support
• Coordinating conference materials
• Organizing ad arrangements
• Creating marketing materials
• Additional responsibilities may periodically include assisting with some more general office-wide administrative support
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email your letter of application and resume to Young at email@example.com.
New York, NY & Oxford, United Kingdom
Seeking Full-Time Publicist
With origins dating back to 1478, Oxford University Press (OUP) is the world’s largest university press with the widest global presence. Its Global Academic Publishing program spans the entire academic and higher education spectrum, including a wide array of scholarly and general interest books, journals, and online products.
• College graduate with 3 or more years of book publicity experience
• Candidate must be creative and have an enthusiastic and energetic approach to mining publicity opportunities
• A familiarity with key print and electronic book contacts is required
• Must be at ease with pitching to media, dealing with authors, and juggling multiple projects and authors at once
• Excellent writing skills required
• Manage book campaigns from beginning to end, including booking events, radio, podcast and television interviews, pitching for reviews both in print and online
• Communicate with authors, editorial and marketing staff about publicity achieved and reporting on individual titles at marketing meetings
• Identify the best and most appropriate audience for assigned titles and compiling media lists accordingly, pitching books and authors to all appropriate venues
• Pitch seasonal list to key media (ie. media visits/lunches)
• Maintain and foster media contacts through research and in person meetings
• Research and write press releases, pitch letters, and other publicity materials
• Work with the Director/Manager to plan and map publicity campaigns
• Work with Director/Manager to manage individual tour budgets
For the New York position, please apply online. If you are interested in the UK position, please apply here.
Everyone here at the Pace MS in Publishing Program hope you all have had a great start to your summer and hope you continue to have a fantastic summer season. As this second half of the summer semester begins, we will be on hiatus until the Fall semester begins.
We hope that we have given you lots of fun events to check out Around Town, helped you in any employment prospects, informed you of interesting publishing related links, and inspired you with amazing quotes.
In the meantime, If you have any questions or anything you would like posted to the blog, please contact Blog Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you all in the Fall!