DeFiore and Company | Fall 2018 Internship
DeFiore and Company is a literary agency that was founded in 1999 by Brian DeFiore, who worked 20+ years at top publishing houses such as St. Martin’s Press, Hyperion, and Random House Publishing Group. To date, DeFiore and Company consists of fourteen agents, who all believe in helping “authors make their work the best it can possibly be.”
DeFiore and Company is looking for two Fall 2018 Interns who are interested in learning all aspects of publishing. The chosen interns will “gain a great understanding of the literary agency business and the publishing process–from query to submission to publication.”
- Read and respond to queries and manuscripts
- Write reader reports
- File documents, sort mail, and provide basic office support
- Motivated, well-organized and responsible
- Has excellent communication skills
- Some experience in evaluating fiction and non-fiction work
- Loves books
- Extensive knowledge of current titles
- Strong interest in the publishing business
Interns should be willing to commit 15-20 hours per week for a minimum of three months. This internship is for school credits only.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, addressed to Gabrielle Piraino. Please be sure to include ‘resume’ in the subject line.
Musée Magazine | Graphic Design Intern
Musée Magazine is a “digital quarterly and interactive website dedicated to featuring works by emerging and established artists.” With its focus on photography and film culture, Musée is often described as quirky, sensual, and unpredictable. It is a photographic library that strives to help promising artists begin their careers in new, exciting, and unexpected art.
Musée Magazine is looking for graphic design interns to communicate and collaborate with the Editor-in-Chief on all designs. Candidates applying for the internship must provide a minimum of three design projects through an online source or PDF.
- Assist in the design and development of layouts for marketing materials, using appealing graphics that are well organized
- Incorporate current design trends into each unique layout to produce an up-to-date style for custom ads
- Exercise good judgment when interpreting instructions and to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions
- Utilize strong written skills and bring effective visual ideas from concept through to completion
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator (bonus if familiar with Adobe After Effects and/or Final Cut Pro)
- Portfolio – Minimum of three design projects (online or PDF)
- Ability to produce creative new ideas and concepts and develop interactive designs
- Ability to work as part of a team with writers, photographers, illustrators, and marketing specialists
- Time management and multitasking skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail when finalizing designs
- Good presentation skills with a creative flair
For more information and to apply, click here.
NYC Media Lab | XR Bootcamp
NYC Media Lab was founded in 2010 and is “dedicated to driving innovation and ultimately job growth in media and technology by facilitating collaboration between the City’s universities and its companies.” Some of its associations include New York City Economic Development Corporation, School of Visual Arts, New York University, Columbia University, The New School, CUNY, IESE, and Pratt Institute. Its goals are to “generate research and development, knowledge transfer, and talent across all of the city’s campuses.”
NYC Media Lab is conducting an XR Startup Bootcamp for NYC university-based teams who aspire to start new companies and focus on VR/AR, voice technology, and other future interfaces. The program lasts from September to November 2018, and participating teams will receive executive mentorship from leading media and technology companies, as well as $10,000 in funding!
Applications are open to faculty members, students (undergraduate and graduate), and/or existing startups affiliated with a NYC-based university. Students who graduated in 2018 are eligible to apply. Applications are open until August 3, 2018.
To find out more about this amazing opportunity and to apply, click here.