Summer Reads!

Summer Reads

It’s almost summer! ARE YOU AS EXCITED AS WE ARE? Term officially ends tomorrow, which means we’ll have 18 days to read before classes pick back up. I’m imagining parks and smoothies in my future. (Unfortunately, there will be no beach. Sigh.) Looking for some reading inspiration? Search no further. Kim and I have got you covered.

(This is my last post for the M.S. in Publishing blog. I can’t believe it! Kim is officially taking things over until she graduates at the end of Summer II.) 

For the movie-goer who likes to prepare

Kevin Kwan, Crazy Rich Asians

Rachael: M.S. in Publishing student Gilcy Aquino recommended Crazy Rich Asians to Professor Karen Holt's Business Communications class back in April. Just finished reading – it was BEYOND EXCELLENT.

Here’s Penguin Random House’s summary of the book: “When New Yorker Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. But Nick has failed to give his girlfriend a few key details. One, that his childhood home looks like a palace; two, that he grew up riding in more private planes than cars; and three, that he just happens to be the country’s most eligible bachelor. On Nick’s arm, Rachel may as well have a target on her back the second she steps off the plane, and soon, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives, and scheming social climbers.”

Kevin Kwan is a New York Times bestselling author. His debut novel, Crazy Rich Asians, is followed by China Rich Girlfriend (book two) and Rich People Problems (book three). Born in Singapore, Kwan moved to the United States when he was 11; he now lives in the West Village. Before he started writing full-time, Kwan ran a creative studio, producing visual work for clients like the Museum of Modern Art and TED.com. TIME recently named Kwan in its annual “100 most influential” list.

For the Hopeless Romantic

Kim: While wandering about Barnes & Noble on my lunch break (because books are more important than food), the cover of Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined To Meet caught my attention. While I thought I was picking up one love story, I found myself holding 14 instead.

Here’s Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s summary of the book: “Whether or not you believe in fate, or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of ‘how they first met’ from some of today’s most popular YA authors. Readers will experience Nina LaCour’s beautifully written piece about two Bay Area girls meeting via a cranky customer service Tweet, Sara Shepard’s glossy tale about a magazine intern and a young rock star, Nicola Yoon’s imaginative take on break-ups and make-ups, Katie Cotugno’s story of two teens hiding out from the police at a house party, and Huntley Fitzpatrick’s charming love story that begins over iced teas at a diner.

“There’s futuristic flirting from Kass Morgan and Katharine McGee, a riveting transgender heroine from Meredith Russo, a subway missed connection moment from Jocelyn Davies, and a girl determined to get out of her small town from Ibi Zoboi. Jennifer Armentrout writes a sweet story about finding love from a missing library book, Emery Lord has a heartwarming and funny tale of two girls stuck in an airport, Dhonielle Clayton takes a thoughtful, speculate approach to pre-destined love, and Julie Murphy dreams up a fun twist on reality dating show contestants. This incredibly talented group of authors brings us a collection of stories that are at turns romantic and witty, epic and everyday, heartbreaking and real.”

Meet Cute features some of today’s most celebrated YA authors: Nicola Yoon, author of Everything, Everything; Sara Shepard, author of Pretty Little Liars; Kass Morgan, author of The 100; and Dhonielle Clayton, author of The Belles. If you’ve read any of these books, Meet Cute is a must for your reading collection.

For the READER who likes books about books

Rachael: I found The Little Clan thanks to LitHub Daily. (If you haven't subscribed to the newsletter yet, you definitely should. It's my favorite source for book features and news!) TLC's summary resonated with me as a female publishing student. You'll soon understand why. 

Here’s Amazon’s summary of the book: “Ava Gallanter is the librarian in residence at the Lazarus Club, an ancient, dwindling Manhattan arts club full of eccentric geriatric residents stuck in a long-gone era. Twenty-five-year-old Ava, however, feels right at home. She leads a quiet life, surrounded by her beloved books and sequestered away from her peers. When Ava’s enigmatic friend Stephanie returns after an unplanned year abroad, the intoxicating opportunist vows to rescue Ava from a life of obscurity. Stephanie, on the hunt for fame and fortune, promises to make Ava’s dream of becoming a writer come true, and together they start a Victorian-inspired literary salon at the Lazarus Club. However, Ava’s romanticized idea of the salon quickly erodes as Stephanie’s ambitions take the women in an unexpected—and precarious—direction. In this humorous yet keenly observant coming-of-age story, Cohen brings us into a boisterous literary world bathed in hubris and ambition. With eloquent prose and affecting storytelling, The Little Clan is both a wickedly fun yet sharply insightful look at friendship, feminism, and finding yourself in your twenties.”

The Little Clan is Iris Martin Cohen’s debut novel, though she’s no newcomer to the writing scene. Cohen completed her MFA at Columbia University and studied creative nonfiction at the Graduate Center, CUNY. The author grew up in the French Quarter of New Orleans, but currently lives in Brooklyn. Andre Aciman, the New York Times-bestselling author of Call Me by Your Name, called Cohen “brilliant” and an “artist.”

For the Video Gamer Who Loves to Read

Kim: When I read the synopsis for Warcross, I knew I had to read it because I'm a hardcore video gamer. A coming-of-age book that revolves around games, virtual reality, and action? Count me in! I was so in love with Marie Lu's world that I read the book in two days.
Before writing her many books, Lu was an art director in the video game industry. Warcross is the first book of Marie Lu’s third trilogy. She made a name for herself in the YA world when she published her first trilogy, Legends. From there, she wrote and published Young Elites and Batman: Nightwalker, a fandom book of the DC Icons Series (which is written by multiple authors). Most – if not all – of Lu’s books have made it onto The New York Times bestseller list.

The sequel, Wildcard, comes out in the fall. This gives you plenty of time to read Warcross.

Happy Reading!