The Center for Communication | Cooper Leibner Editorial Fellowship
The Center for Communication is a nonprofit organization sponsored by major media companies and other academic partners. It’s mission? To increase diversity in the media industry and better prepare students for careers “by connecting them with the best minds in media.”
Each year, the Center for Communication awards the Carole Cooper and Richard Leibner Journalism Fellowship to a female college junior, senior, or graduate in the New York area. The chosen Fellow receives a generous monthly stipend while interning at the Center for Communication during the school year. The internship is 16–20 hours per week for an entire school year, and starts in Fall 2018.
- Support program staff during On Locations and panels (must be available to work during all evening panels)
- Help maintain social media process across platforms
- Collaborate on content development (event recaps, new project opportunities) and assist with current project management
- Be interested in marketing, social media, and writing
- Be a self-starter, highly motivated, able to take direction, and conscientious about deadlines
- Strong editorial and research skills required
- Photoshop, InDesign, and Video Editing skills are highly desired, but not required
- Strong social media skills (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram)
Applications are due by Monday, April 2nd. To apply, please email your résumé, a 300-word statement on why you’re the best person for the fellowship, and links to all relevant work in regards to writing and/or video. Email Foladé Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Cooper Leibner Editorial Fellowship.
Interested in learning more? Check out our Link of the Week profile on the Center for Communications.
HGTV Magazine | Editorial Assistant (Marketing)
HGTV Magazine is a life-style magazine owned by Hearst, “one of the nation’s largest diversified media, information and services companies with more than 360 businesses.” Inside every issue, HGTV Magazine shares DIY ideas, budget buys, homes you’ll love, and tips from HGTV stars, experts, and editors.
HGTV Magazine is currently looking for an editorial assistant to join its market department. The chosen candidate will work closely with the Market Director.
- Assist with incoming and outgoing product for all merch pages
- Oversee the workroom and the prop closet
- Keep the rooms organized
- Manage prop returns
- Gather credit sheets for market department stories
- Attend previews and market events
- Some publication experience
- Experience with PR contacts and/or working in either a merch or fashion closet
- Familiar with InCopy and Woodwing
- A background in shelter and/or women’s lifestyle magazines
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced start-up environment with a small team
If you are interested in applying for this position, click here. For consideration, candidates must submit a resume in .pdf format along with a cover letter and salary requirements.
Penguin Random House | Sales Assistant
Penguin Random House is one of the Big 5 publishers and “the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom, and many other regions around the world.” Some of its published authors include Marie Lu, Jojo Moyes, Zadie Smith, Matt Haig, and Robert Crais.
Penguin Random House is currently looking for a Sales Assistant to join the Random House Publishing Group Adult Sales team. The chosen candidate will work closely with the sales and publishing departments, and be able to closely observe the book-selling process.
- Compile data from a variety of internal databases
- Run sales reports
- Track and analyze sales data
- Communicate drop-ins, updates, and other information to Sales Reps
- Assemble sales materials for both internal and external meetings
- Provide general administrative support
- Schedule meetings
- Answer phones
- Minimum of 6 months of prior office experience
- Publishing experience a plus
- Interest in book publishing and sales
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work comfortable with numbers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proactive with strong organizational and follow up skills
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
For more information and to apply for this position, click here.