Fletcher & Company was co-founded by Christy Fletcher in 2003, when she and a former business partner left positions as vice presidents at Carlisle & Co to set up their own company. In 2008, Christy Fletcher became sole owner of Fletcher & Co. and the agency expanded into management and production.
Today, Fletcher & Co. is a full-service literary management and production company dedicated to writers of upmarket non-fiction as well as commercial and literary fiction.
• Candidate is extremely organized
• Excellent multi-tasker
• Able to manage and prioritize tasks with grace and good humor
• Should also be creative and engaged with the world outside of publishing
• Ability to manage relationships and work well with others (in writing, in person, by phone) is crucial
• Candidates should have 1-2 years full-time paid assistant (non-intern unless full-time) experience in publishing, film/tv, media, or in a related field
• Managing the calendar (scheduling appointments and reservations)
• Answering incoming calls
• Maintaining a database
• Tracking and processing contracts and payments
• Generally facilitating the day-to-day flow of the office I
• Provides project management support for a broad range of clients and projects, corresponding directly with writers, editors, studio executives and their assistants
• Expected to read, provide coverage with editorial feedback, track and evaluate incoming submissions, as well as client work and writing samples (proposals, works-in-progress, scripts, articles, etc.)
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume with a detailed cover letter to Veronica Goldstein at email@example.com. The cover letter should explain how your experience is relevant to the position.
Founded in 1984, Weldon Owen US is a high-quality, nonfiction, adult book publisher specializing in producing innovative, richly illustrated lifestyle books in the categories of food and drink, sports and fitness, popular science, craft and design, and popular culture for the global market, delivering approximately 100 books a year. It illustrates great ideas, break down complex skills so anyone can learn them, and entertain and inspire along the way a wide range of readers’ passions, be they practical, creative, adventurous, or all-out fun.
• Ability to juggle multiple large and small design and administrative aspects of long-term projects, efficiently tracking progress, negotiating evolving deadlines, and maintaining up-to-date schedules
• Eagle eye for consistency, understanding of print production processes, and ability to trouble-shoot files and mark up proofs for color correction
• A strong knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop is essential. A working understanding of Word, Excel, and other standard applications is also useful
• Comfortable working in files or delegating such work to interns and outside freelancers
• Happy to work with a variety of personality types and can respond constructively to feedback from team members, authors, clients, and sales teams
• Can meeting creative challenges head on and finding innovative solutions to budget or time constraints
• Good sense of typography and layout, and an eye for beautiful imagery.
• Experience developing multi-page editorial content for magazines and/or books, and is curious and interested in food & drink trends and topics
• Enjoys the production involved in creating beautiful books, and is consistently able to improve and push projects forward despite challenging deadlines and client needs
• Helping to guide the majority of our 100+ book titles per year through to completion
• Working with publishers, editors, designers and production team to maintain schedules, trouble-shooting and renegotiating deadlines as needed to ensure final product deliveries meet overall internal and external needs
• Routing files through production cycles, trafficking files through approval rounds internally and externally and providing final assets for internal and external use
• Providing technical assistance to design team, reviewing final files and is responsible for making sure files are routed to printer
• Managing all pre-press checks and preparing ozalids, creating CTP pdfs and transferring files to printer
• Maintaining top standards for files, printed product, and archives
• Working with freelancers to make sure they properly set up and supply files, adjusting and correcting files in house as necessary
• Working with production department to ensures all specifications are being adhered to
• Organizing reprint corrections with production, design & editorial teams
• Ensuring that ISBN and pricing and logos used are correct and in line with our standards
• Providing design services and overall support for art directors and creative director
• Creating various marketing and promotional materials including print, online, signage for company and specific book titles as well as our marketing catalogs
• Reworking designs to accommodate unexpected shortfalls or overages in content
• Conducting photo research
• Helping Art Directors prepare mood boards to commission illustration and photography
• Reworking existing designs for co-editions
• Helping to manage design interns
• Managing external hard drives for the design teams
If you are interested in this position, please apply online. Please include your CV detailing your salary expectations. They’d also love to know more about you than just what’s on your CV, so feel free to send a letter, video or comic monologue whatever showcases your passion for the company and the work you’d be doing and they’ll view it.
Established in 1933, the Crown imprint is a leading publisher of bestselling fiction and critically acclaimed narrative nonfiction in categories that include biography and memoir, history, science, politics, and current events.
• Candidate is creative, organized, process-oriented, passionate about publishing
• Has 1-2 years design experience
• Passion and expertise for Typography and Design
• Thorough knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
• Print production knowledge and skills
• Ability to organize, prioritize, and work independently to meet deadlines
• Collaborative spirit and positive attitude when working with internal and external partners
• Ability to think creatively to be an effective problem solver
• Creating original covers, illustrations and photo research.
• Designing mechanicals, trafficking work, and preparing and delivering files for print
• Work closely with the Art Director
If you are interested in this position, please apply online. Please include a link to your portfolio.
The Monacelli Press is a leading publisher of illustrated books in fine art, design, architecture, landscape architecture, interior design, gardening, lifestyle, graphic design, photography, artisanal crafts, art instruction, and photography technique.
• Bachelor’s degree
• At least 3-5 years of editorial and acquisitions experience within the publishing industry, preferably with illustrated books
• Excellent interpersonal skills, good judgment, ability to balance multiple projects, sense of humor
• Proven experience in acquiring and publishing multiple high-quality, profitable, and critically viable projects
• Ability to conceptualize ideas, acquire books, and work with authors at a fast pace
• Established relationships with agents, industry colleagues, and design professionals
• Great negotiation skills
• Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills
• A proven track record of turning ideas into books
• Comfortable in a small company setting where you may need to perform duties outside of your job description, and where collaborative work is the norm
• Exceptional time-management skills and the ability to multi-task across departments, activities, and projects
• Must be highly disciplined, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and well organized with superior ability to manage time, prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently
• Strong understanding and awareness of general marketplace and relevant market segments within industry
• Keen proofreading skills
• Proven editorial skills in shaping excellent written text
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), graphics programs (InDesign, Photoshop)
• Acquire, develop, and edit titles with critical and commercial potential within the assigned categories (lifestyle, interior design, home decor, gardening)
• Obtain production quotes, run profit and loss statements, prepare acquisitions materials
• Work directly and negotiate contracts with authors and agents as well as with book packagers and publishers on coeditions
• Shepherd manuscripts through the design, editorial production, and production process from concept to bound book
• Work with the marketing and publicity department to develop marketing and promotional plans
• Write fact sheets, jacket, and catalog copy
• Present titles at various sales meetings
• Effectively and sensitively communicate and maintain productive relationships with high-level experts and authors
• Extensively research the subject areas, current trends, and the competition
If you are interested in this position, please apply by sending a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Experiment, operated by its founder-proprietors, has been publishing books since September 2009. They publish a wide range of practical and narrative nonfiction, mainly for adults but also occasionally for kids, across a spectrum of subjects, from eating healthfully (for oneself and the planet), parenting, relationships, creativity, fitness, psychology, and personal development, to popular science, math and logic (including puzzle books), memoir and biography, and history. They are a collegial, extremely hard-working crew with offices near Gramercy Park in Manhattan.
• Highly detail oriented
• Unceasing initiative-taker and problem solver
• Happy to work both independently and collaboratively
• Should have superior organizational skills with a strong ability to prioritize, multi-task, and adhere to schedules and deadlines
• Must have knowledge of or experience with ebook production and a comfort with databases and spreadsheets
• Familiarity and/or experience in any of the following is preferred: Sigil (or similar such as FlightDeck), epubcheck, KindleGen, Adobe Creative Suite, CSS/HTML/RegEx, and Excel
• Experience with Firebrand, or other title management system, is a plus
• Routing ebook files through our conversion house
• Performing QA checks and remedying issues
• Occasionally creating simple ebooks in-house
• Ensuring that critical deadlines are met
• Compile, enter, update, and maintain all metadata in our title management system (Firebrand) and on our website (WordPress)
• Monitoring retailer sites to ensure they are displaying correct content, creating tip-sheets, coordinating with all departments to ensure you have timely and correct information, and independently resolving day-to-day issues
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to email@example.com.