The WNBA will be reviewing submissions for their 1st annual Writing Contest. The Women’s National Book Association is a dynamic organization of women and men across the broad spectrum of writing and publishing. Membership includes Editors, Publishers, Literary Agents, Professors, Academics, Librarians, Authors, Book Sellers and many others involved in the world of books.
After years of celebrating published authors, extraordinary book women, and others in the field, we have decided it is time to celebrate emerging writers. Please send only your highest caliber work.
- Submission Period: June 1st – November 1st, 2012
- Fiction: 2,500 word limit – may be a short story, or a stand alone excerpt from a novel in progress
- Poetry: 35 line limit – or one page double spaced
- Previously unpublished work only
- Your entry must be uploaded without your name, address, or contact information on the actual document. Your contact information will be collected on a separate form when you submit your entry.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- You may submit more than one entry, however, each one must be separately submitted.
- Acceptable formats are: Word Document 2007, Word Document 2003 or earlier version, RTF (Rich Text Format).
- Winner will be announced April 1st, 2013. Contest results will be posted online at www.wnba-books.org/contest.
Fiction: Valerie Martin. Valerie is an award-winning author (Kafka Prize, Orange Prize) with 9 novels, 3 short story collections, and one biography. Her website is: www.valeriemartinonline.com.
Poetry: Julie Kane, Poet Laureate, Louisiana, 2011-2013. Julie has authored six books, including three collections of poetry, one volume of non-fiction, and two edited anthologies. Her website is: www.juliekanepoet.com.
Entry: 3 poems or 1 short story
WNBA Members: $10 per entry
Non-Members: $15 per entry
Multiple submissions will be accepted.
$250 cash prize, and the winning entry will be published in The Bookwoman, the official publication of the Women’s National Book Association, with 10 chapters nationwide. 2nd, 3rd and honorable mention prizes in each category, please see website for details. Proceeds of the contest will go to support scholarships for writing conferences and other professional development training.